Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Prejudice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mesa Man, Oct 13, 2000.

1. Prejudice, oh yes we all know it. What is your favourite prejudice for Bassists, Drummers, Guitarrists, Singers?

Drummers: Somewhat special, half deaf, silent types.. that has to express themselves through banging drums

You get the picture, but for now I cant come up with any good examples for the other ones.. C'mon guys and gals help me out here..

Lets hear all the nice things that we believe is true regarding the special habits and personalities of the wonderful world of music! :)

Did any of you understand my point?

(I'll check the spelling later.)

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Guitarists-
    ...Too LOUD! There's that joke, "How do you get a LOUD guitarist to turn down"? Put a chart in front of him; THAT just didn't appear outta thin air(in fact, that joke also hits on the guitarists' inability to read, too). :D

Singers-
    ...Will not help move equipment. Male/female? Doesn't matter.

Drummers-
    ...Our best friend(IF they have their own transportation!).

3. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Why, oh why, oh WHY is this all so true???? :(

4. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    before i started playing bass, i thought most bass players were kind of dull oafs. now that i am playing, i confirmed it! HAHAHA

most singers do not help with eqiupment. most drummers don't know how to play softer during practice. most singers are whimps. most guitarists think they are god.

5. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    The drummers I know are worse: they don't even play. They'll play for half a measure, fall apart, then come back in completely off time two measures (and half a beat) later. Is it so tough to play a straight swing rythmn when you've been playing drums for however long? I've got WAY better time than most of them, too. It's really frightening.

There is always that one exception to the rule, though... This one drummer I know (who happens to be my best pal, even if he doesn't have his own transportation) has rock-solid time, is sympathetic in his volume, and is FAR better at hearing intervals and notes than me (though that's admittedly not very hard)... and, to top it all off, he not only knows who Jaco is, but knows exactly what makes him so incredible! I'm telling you, this guy is the bassist's dream drummer. =)

6. I'll do you one better. My drummer is the one who actually turned *me* on to Jaco!

7. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    here are some ones we might have missed....
    these are all in good fun and do not apply to all musicains of course, and are not reflective of the guys in my band. they're great guys.

keyboard player:
    may as well not buy any books on music theory. these guys will tell ya everything you never wanted to know about what you are doing and why it is not "right". no matter what instrument you play. they tend to be the only one in the band who can read music also. tend to idolize folks like Herbie Hancock, and have a disturing amount of respect for classical composers. me, I like Ray from the Doors.

rythm guitarists:
    either really pissed because they are not allowed to play lead, or really happy because they can't play a lick of lead. pure rythm guitar players tend to idloize such folks as Gilby Clarke.

bassists:
    there are many shades of bassist. there are the frustrated guitarists who take up bass because they think its easier, and then become even more frustrated because its not. these folks tend to idolize folks like Les Claypool. they used to idolize folks like Eddie Van Halen, and are waiting for the day they can play guitar again, good.
    then you got the root note player. these guys want to play bass, but aren't technically sound yet. they may be working to develop more, or may just be happy where they. these folks tend to idolize folks like Steven Bailey, Victor Wooten, and Billy Sheehan, but tell people their idol is Michael Anthony so they won't get laughed at.
    then you got the really good bassists who love playing bass. their idols are many.

spectrum of drummers:
    Dennis Wilson type- they can keep a beat and they look good doing it. they're just happy as hell to be in a band.
    Neil Peart type- these guys not only drive themselves nuts trying to turn every beat into a Neil Peart beat, but also everyone playing with them, because 9 times out of 10 they are only fooling themselves.
    drummers on the whole are usually fun to hang out with and are great guys. but can be mean as hell for no apparant reason.

accordion players:
    hopefully locked up

8. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    b2b: You must be one VERY happy bassist. =)

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Drummers think that doing a drum fill in 6 is ok when the rest of us are in 4/4.They also think that a 22 in china sounds good. They hitting cymbals with rivets just by your ears. They think that brushes are foe wimps.

Guitarists think that their amp should be the loudest. That definition of sound is unimportant. That you can never play without a large plastic box with someone elses sounds programmed in.

Bassplayers are always right even when another bassplayer disagrees. Hmmmm.

Singers think that its ok to sing through there nose. Thay think that music wont exist without them.

Keyboard players think that classical music has a bearing on the band. Hey I like a bit of 1812 like then next bloke but leave it on the record player (oops). They also think that they are the only one playing and its ok to walk canter and gallop the timing when they see fit.

Now you got my dander up. I am having a lie down.

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

It is totally unfounded, but I tend to think a musician, any musician, who names the band after HIMSELF just has to be perfectionistic, demanding, autocratic and egotistical. Some bands that come to mind, Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne, Pat Metheny Group, Brian Setzer Orchestra. But like I said, it is just a prejudice and all these guys may be wonderful people to work with. For example, one exception to my prejudice... Steve Morse, whom I have met and he just seemed like the warmest, most humble and unaffected person...but I never played for him, so who knows?

Even more extreme would be soloists for whom a band is just a backup. Artists like Michael Jackson, Madonna, Shania Twain, Mariah Carey, Barbra Streisand, Bette Midlar. Seems like they'd be the most egotistical and demanding of all. But, again, I have absolutely no eveidence to back up my claim.

Jason Oldsted

11. How come all of this seem so VERY true?
    I can nothing but agre with almost all of them..
    Hmm well keep em coming folks! :D

12. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Yeah, I'm not to crazy about bands being named after one of the members (i.e. Dave Matthews Band). Does this person even give a damn about how the band feels about playing second fiddle??

13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I kind of disagree on the naming the band after yourself thing. Maybe the guy who named the band after himself actually is the creative center of the band, and all of the other members actually are expendible. A person like Micheal Jackson could find a replacement for his bassist any day because she is filthy rich. The production company is also trying to sell these people as idols, and don't want the band to get in the way. Bands such as Brian Setzer, Glenn Miller, and Duke Ellington are led by these people. These people had their own idea for a band and went through the trouble of finding members for their band. Its kind of like naming a company after yourself. You are the boss, and everyone else works for you.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

..."SHE is filthy rich"!
    Good one, Phat!! :D

BTW-
    Most Jazz "bands" are named after the leader; Steps Ahead(& maybe Weather Report)is one of the select few ACOUSTIC Jazz bands with a "name". Most with a "name" are usually electric(Return To Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Yellowjackets, Spyro Gyra, Rippingtons, etc).

15. My beef is with club owners!!! They think a little bit of money and alot of beer will pay for your overhead!!! That would be fine if I lived in the park and was hoping to save up for a cardboard box!!!

"What is yor name?"
    "What is your favorite color?"
    "What is the capitol of Assyria?"

16. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Will, remember when we palyed Hammerheads and the owner just started screaming at you? You kept good restraint in not shoving your bass down his throat!!!

17. Production companies.
    How did the Miami Sound Machine, the most rockin band of ANY genre, become Gloria Estefan ? She's good, but without Emilio and the rest of the gang, she would just be another singer, IMHO.

What a world.

Anyway, here are my 'prejudices':
    Keyboardist who insist on playing walking basslines.
    Drummers who feel that constantly playing fills is a good thing.
    Singers ... well ... whenever one gets on my nerves, I just sing their solo ( I am a very, very good singer. Thanks mom and dad -) ).

Later.

18. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    More prejudices:

club owners- usually very irresponsible, grouchy individuals. leave them a demo tape of your band, but don't hold your breath that they will call YOU back. they tend to like to keep the same few bands in every week. also, don't beleive them when they say these phrases:
    "I'll listen to the tape"
    "I'll call you back next week"

roadies- these guys want to be in a band so bad it hurts, but their main objective is getting laid.

jazz musicians- ever meet a jazz player who didn't go behind the club and smoke a huge hogleg before playing?

fiddlers- usually unemployed

lead guitarists- one uppers alot of the time:

examples:
    bassists says- "I can play that new Primus song"
    guitarists says- "I can play like Victor Wooten and I don't even own a bass"

some dude- "hey, my band opened up for The Allman Bros."
    guitarist- "oh yeah, well the Allman Bros. opened up for me"

strippers who dance at clubs near where you play and who you might run into after a night of working-

musician- "I'm in a band"
    stripper- "I don't give a ****, you got money to take care of my 3 kids who I don't even know the daddy!??!! and plus, my unemployed ex-husband who lives with me will kick your ass!!"

19. There's another misconception,bar owners think musicians are sooo laid back that we don't have feelings.Dang Sean,I' forgotten about that gig!!! We ought to all right a book on horrific gigs!!!

Yukaze ya
    mizu aosagi no
    hagi wo utsu
    Buson

20. To everyone on this page,my sympathy goes out to anyone who has had to endure a moronic club owner.The bands and the bars/venues need each other.The bands and the audience also have a vital relationship.Without an appreciative audience,where would any of us be.

Whew, thanks for letting me vent,I don't know what I'd do without you guys/girls er.. ladies.You know what I mean.