1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Prelim Review - Washburn AB-90i Limited Edition

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hambone, Nov 3, 2006.

1. It finally came after 3 attempts to deliver to the house. Being single now, there wasn't anyone to take packages like there used to be.:( But it was worth the little extra wait. First impressions are that it's simply the biggest - it's the biggest of everything - size and sound. This is a limited edition run of 48 AB-90's for Internet Music Warehouse (no connection to me). The difference is these have piezo pickups in the bridge with blend control going into an active system. The two humbuckers have incredible output when used alone and have the predictable deep warm tone. The preamp allows this to be spiced up considerably and with the roundwound strings that came on it, it can get a very clean growly mid and upper mid. Click in the piezo's and you can add in a crystalline high end that still has a delicious, nasty edge on it. I've been playing it through a biamped system - Yamaha PB-1/Peavey DPC 1000/Alesis compressor/Carvin RLT 210/Avatar 1x15 crossed over at 200Hz. So here are some of the other specs:

• Limited Edition - numbered #8 of 48
    • 34" scale
    • Flame maple body - trans Black stain
    • Mahogany neck
    • Bound rosewood fretboard with MOP inlay
    • Buzz Feiten tuning system
    • Bound and inlayed Headstock
    • Grover tuners
    • Black/White Double bound body
    • 17" x 21" body - 49" long!
    • 9 lbs, 9 oz.
    • Heavy padded gigbag

This was an ebay buy and I think that's the only place you can get them. I wasn't going to be outbid and payed $555 with $40 shipping. New AB-90's (no piezo) are selling there for $719. I'm damn happy with this one and it will represent the semi-acoustic genre very well in my collection.

2. Very nice. Although I don't generally care for F-holes except on DB, I'll soften my stance here. Approved. :)

3. Very nice, Hambone. I like sem-hollow basses (I just picked up an Ibanez Artcore AGB-140) and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

4. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    Hambone do you have link? That may be one of the ones I bid on. There was anotehr ebay seller that had a 5 string verison a few weeks back. I am really thinking about this one.

5. It's got a bigger sound than anything else I own. It'll be interesting learning to work with it.

6. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    Hambone I could not find the ebay link. If I remember right he had a real high buy now and did not seem to know as much. How was dealing with imusicwarehouse? I have never sepnt that much for a bass online before. How was the setup?

7. Setup was OK but I'm still letting the neck settle in. The neck was detuned about 2 whole steps so I've got some ground to make up. There's the tiniest bit of buzz right now but things are still a'changing. I don't notice any of it amplified.

Imusicwarehouse was very good about communication. They were a little slow to ship IMO but it was only 2 days. They made up for it with expediting the shipment when it was sent out.

Since I had absolutely no experience with this bass or even this genre of instrument, I relied on comparison shopping the price to determine my proxy. I just knew I had to own it though.

8. I like semi-hollow basses because (especially with flats) they excel at what I need, namely fat upright-like thump; I play traditional blues and jump. They are used a lot in blues and rootsy music. I have been using a USA Hamer CruiseBass and a few Fenders but the Ibanez is really impressing me. Yours has 2 pickups, which is a cool feature (series/parallel switch?).

9. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    Hambone good to hear about communication. As far as that retro style hollow body I like what I have read and heard about the washburn. I alrady have several washburns and this would be a nice addition. Could even be my main bass.

10. The two humbuckers have volume and tone controls. The piezo has tone only. The small switch on the bottom switches active/passive/off. The selector on the top does HB/piezo/blend for the 3 pickups. I really like that "off" position on the active switch.

11. thats a hot looking bass! nice score hambone!

12. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    I thought of a question Hambone. How many batteries does it use and how do they load? Some of the older washburns were hard to load the batteries in.