Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

premade control plates, good idea?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Frugle, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
  2. you could make a control plate like this pretty easily yourself for the same price. Just buy some new pots and a switch. Theres a huge number of articles on here about Parallel-Series mods!

3. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    right, I could for the same price... but I guess I was just hoping to skip the doing it part... :)

4. haha, well in that case, it's a fairly good idea! Just bare in mind you already have a control plate + 3 pots. All youre really paying for is the parallel/series mod...

5. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    well I was hoping to upgrade the pots... I know that the MIM pots arn't the best, (and at times, mine are noisy...) so I was actually looking for a new set... do you think these are any good?

6. i doubt these pots are much better, never know, i might be wrong. If you were willing to spend the money I would try getting pots by Alps, Noble or CTS... but i think they can cost upto and over $30 a piece. Perhaps message the ebay seller and ask what kind (and value) of pots he has used in his units? Hopefully it'll be something good and it'll be worth it! Let us know what you decide on.

7. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Doesn't the control plate also provide a balance control instead of the standard 2 volume controls? I've considered getting one of these just for that.

8. ahhh i overlooked the blend pot there... sorry! my bad.

9. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    yeah, forgot about that one when posting...

I will e-mail him.. see what he says

in the meantime, can I get some thoughts on these pickups? should I go for something more along the lines of the symore-duncans (sp?)?

10. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    read the title again, it says "With CTS pots"

completely overlooked that last time,

so are CTS' good pots?

11. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    so there ya go..