Premature burial

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Apr 1, 2003.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Did anyone see this on channel 5 last night from 11-12pm?

It was about the idea of being buried alive (accidentally) and had a number of documents/interveiws with people who had been certified dead, one of whom ended up beingg buried then was exhumed by a twist of fate (or pride amongst 2 arguing doctors over his cause of death);

TRUE STORY:(set early 1900's) A farm owners son was working on the farm when a labourer accidently impaled his head with a pitchfork. The farmers son was stunned, but appeared fine. However he developed an infection (plu.. something) and his health deteriated until the point where a priest was called to read him his last rights, at which pouint he was certified dead. He wa sinfact still good, and was able to hear everything around him but had no means of commicating, he even heard and felt the undertaker measuring him for a coffin.

Worse yet, they proceeded to bury him, as he lay in the coffin hearing only the sound of shovel after shovel of dirt pile upon him. He then lay there for 2 days until he was exumed by 2 doctors who couldn't aggree on the cause of death. Upon opening the tomb, all seemed fine. They then took him to the morgue, ready to performa an autoposy - the boy again could hear all sounds, such as 'pass me the scalpel'. The doctors then began to cut his chest at which point his eyes flicked open. The doctors paused, and re closed them. They then flicked open again.

The doctors now reliased the horror of the whole event and placed him in intensive care (well the 1900 equuivalant) where he made a full recovery, allowing him to tell the story.

Theres more if anyone's interested, I just didnt want new readers to see a massive post and not wnat to read it all :)
  2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK

Wow! You mean they do actually show interesting stuff on C5? :D

I can't get C5 anyway.

If there's more, let's hear it :)

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  5. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK

And, I'm sorry, but lol@"Society for the Prevention of People Being Buried Alive".

6. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I saw a documentary on just these items about 3 months ago presented by Peter Snow; "Welcome to tomorows world, Im Peter Snooooooooooooow"

One of them was a coffin with a see through panel at eye level made from glass. Above the panel was placed a hammer on a swinging arm which could be activated by the 'user' pulling a string within the coffin. However, they demonstrated how cack it was by the fact that the 'user' would be showered with shattered glass, directly into their eyes!

There was another one too which was a coffin that had a 7 foot pole on it which was raised above ground level when the coffin was buried (6 ft under). The pole then had a platform on with a flag and alarm that could be activated (bell would ring, flag would stick up) by the user pulling a chord. It was proper bo I tell the'

There where more, but If the posts too long no one will read it :'O( Im off to IT in a second so ill type up some more happenings from last nights show.

edit: repaired some naff spelling.
  7. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    there's a great story by edgar allan poe about this.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No - it must be a joke - they never show anything interesting on Channel 5! ;)
  9. And hence we get the expressions "Saved By The Bell" and "The Graveyard Shift"
  10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    interesting topic. i wonder how long someone could exert themselves with the limited air in a coffin before they would pass out and suffocate?
  11. Look at it this way: With a premature burial you have a chance; not so with a premature cremation. ;)

12. Right. Give me cremation or give me hysteria and suffocation.
  13. I think a modern post-mortem rules out any chance of being buried alive.
    unless a human being can survive having its internal organs removed....

I'll go for cremation though.
  14. ever seen the film "The vanishing" (original version)?:eek:

I've seen a few films/TV dramas in which a kidnapping victim was buried alive in a coffin of sorts with an air supply- I think it's happened in real life too- including cases in which the police didn't free the victim in time.
  15. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    oh yeah, interest fact:

One of the cases on the show was based in a town 8 miles from my house! Even more, the doc' who certified her head was our GP! Even more, in her career shed certified 2 still good people dead!

:eek: WAAAHHHH!!!:eek:
  16. Folks, try the new premature burial fruit snacks, available in all your favorite flavors:

Out of body Orange
    Pearly Gate Passionfruit
    Great Beyond Grape
    Bury me deep Berry
    Vanilla Cremation Cream

and of course,

Charred remains Cherry.

So good, they're to die for! :p

Mike :D
  17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

I'll take a Blast victim Blueberry please.
  18. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK

Sleep with one eye open, yoshi! And try not to look too still!
  19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Next time she tells you your a corpse tell her you want a second opinion.
  20. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Well... That sucks...

I hope that when I am a medical examiner I never make a mistake like that :cool: