1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Premium Ibanez (Ibáñez) SR1800E

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Oct 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. After 6 months of daily practice, I decided it was time to treat myself.
    Rickenbacker 4004?
    Sure, but the local RIC dealer doesn't have any.
    There's one for sale on Reverb, but it's really from Sam Ash.
    They're being dodgy IMHO, by not selling it outright from the store. They'll only do business & communicate through eBay or Reverb.
    It's only 8-1/2 lbs., but w/o being able to try it out first, I'm out, knowing that a return to Reverb or eBay would not be as easy as just driving it to my local Sam Ash.

A MIJ Ibanez SR890 turned up at one of the GC's within my range, so I went & checked it out.
    Expecting to be wowed by the vari-mid controls, but I wasn't.
    The used SR370 there had my eye, light (8 lbs.), which is unusual for an all maple bass.
    However, the pickups in it weren't wowing me like the Power Span pickups in the SR370E have.

The goal was to find something as light (or lighter) than my SRX at home, that also sounded better.

On the way back home, a Friday afternoon, I decided to stop at one last spot & I even told myself this would be the LAST time I looked at basses again until next year.

Well, there it was!
    Somehow I'd just glanced right past it before, but mainly because it was on a high rack out of reach.

I told myself that this year I'd only buy things if they wowed me, and it did.

IMG_20171001_111321048.jpg IMG_20171001_113449527.jpg
    IMG_20170916_152745674.jpg

Nordstrand Big Single pickups
    3-band with a mid-frequency switch
    active/passive switch (passive works w/o a battery)
    even balance between strings
    no dead spots (I spent a while checking it out)
    bubinga/wenge neck with titanium rods
    lighter than my SRX

I love it!

So, if I'm not around much, guess what I'll be doing...

Almost forgot to mention:
    This is my first new bass!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  2. KBD! I thought you were gone? I love my Ibby's. Best bang for the buck, IMHO. Glad you're back.

3. nice_hat

nice_hat Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Puget Sound, WA
    I love the feel of those necks!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Glad to see you back.
    Congrats on the Ibanez,wow- that's one gorgeous bass.

5. Pachap

Pachap

Jun 21, 2014
    Savannahstan, GA
    See headstock photo in my avatar. I had an SR1200. It was amazing. It was my holy grail of tone. I sold it due to physical illness when I thought I'd never play again. I miss it badly.

I am sure you will yours, just careful with all the preamp controls, and keep the users manual with you whenever playing. I found it difficult at times to dial in the sound I was really looking for, amid all the sounds available.

Also, I found that a good compressor really helped my bass. It gave it a little more spank and tightness to the sound that I felt I couldn't get out the preamp alone. I felt like my comp helped this bass our more than any other bass I played at the time.

6. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    stunning instrument. great find.

7. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Western NC
    KBD...Worried that you died or something...

8. TBH I became more alive, and this new bass was a breathe of fresh air.

Helix, Conkal and bholder like this.
  9. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Oh how i love those Ibanez basses, and that one has some particularly nice wood grain and color. They fit my body and hands perfectly, no neck dive and a fast action. I really like the control setup too. I’ve been considering selling a couple basses I rarely play to buy s Prestige Series, but haven’t worked up the gumption. Nice score!

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Those Ibanezes with Nordstrand pickups are great. Congrats KBD!

PawleeP and Killed_by_Death like this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Those Ibanezes with Nordstrand pickups are great. Congrats KBD!

Reedt2000 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  12. Es-La-Una

Es-La-Una

Oct 27, 2016
    Good for you. I picked up a new Ibanez SR1800E last June. I ordered it along with a Ibanez hard case from a small music store. It took about six months for it to arrive but it was worth the wait. I like it a lot. It’s easy to pick up and hard to put down. There are several SR Premium models that are similar to the 1800E with the only difference being the top layer of wood. I thought the 1800E was the best looking one with its double “stripes”.

Yeah, stores like to do that. Place the more expensive guitars high up on the wall and out of reach. Keep them out of reach of kids probably. They want to force you to ask a store employee to retrieve for you who has to climb up a ladder.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  13. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard. Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Congrats and welcome back KBD!

14. Recently I didn't touch this bass for about a week, played exclusively in Drop D on my SR eXtreme.
    That smile came back on my face again when I plugged in the SR1800E again today. Grinnin' like I'm sinnin'!

DrMole, nonohmic and nice_hat like this.
  15. How does those Nordstrand singles compare to the Powerspan pickups? I love the sound of the Powerspans in my SR300E, and I've heard that they are supposed to be copies of the Nordstrands that Ibanez put their own name on. But the Nordstrands are singles, and The Powerspans are humbuckers, right? Does Nordstrand make humbuckers, too?

16. Nordstrand make dual coil pickups that look surprisingly like PowerSpans, but Carey himself said on here that they're not associated.

Here's Nordstrand's own demo of the Big Singles:

The PowerSpans reminded me of my old RIC 4004, but the Big Singles surpassed that sound, to me.

LinusKarlsson likes this.
  17. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    maybe they (indo) bit off his design(s) hope not...
    that is one issue to consider when farming out proprietary designs

18. Recently I bought a SR300EB & am able to A/B them. The Big Singles just have more character & more top end. I've never experienced pickups as responsive as the Big Singles.

Still not impressed with the Power Tap switch :bored:

PawleeP likes this.
  19. It's been two years now & every time I try another bass that I "think" can replace this one I am let down.
    I took delivery on a nice bass today & it was just about everything I wanted on my wish-list of features, but it doesn't sound nearly as aggressive as the Big-Singles in this bass.

So, this is The One for me. Maybe I will get a better pre-amp, because that's the one thing I don't like about it.
    I've been using it passively 97% of the time since I've owned it.

If there weren't so many holes to fill on the controls I'd make it fully passive & wired in series.

Here's the latest pic, with a handprint that won't leave & new hardware:

lucas303, DrMole, Humbled and 3 others like this.
  20. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    The necks on these feel absolutely amazing. Great choice and absolutely gorgeous instrument.