Premium Ibanez (Ibáñez) SR1800E

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Oct 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    Very nice! I'm gassing big time for a premium, Ibanez is putting out some quality basses.

2. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Big improvement with the hardware change.

FRoss6788 likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

4. SgtHulka

SgtHulka Suspended Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    Hey quick question, Ibanez says that this is an atlas 4 neck. I saw it described as a soundgear like profile but a little bit beefier. Is it also a little bit wider at the nut or just feels a little bit more robust overall?

5. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    I played a one of these this weekend - it was in great shape and was selling used for $500cdn. It was a super nice bass, sounded great, looked great, had good ergonomics, the neck felt good, etc. It ended up not being for me, but what a nice bass!

6. SgtHulka

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    I got this from the Anderton's page:

Atlas Neck and The Premium Fret Treatment

One of the main differences between the standard and premium series basses comes with the neck and its construction. This neck has a slightly different profile that Ibanez call 'Atlas' it feels a little bit thicker than an normal SR neck but it is still on the small side.

Ibanez SR1800 4 String Bass in Natural Flat - Andertons Music Co.

7. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    I love those Premiums. However, I wish Ibanez made them in a solid body wood/finish.

Don't know why they're going for that "looks like a neck through, but is not (with a stripe through it)" look. Not fooling anyone once you turn it around :) Though I wonder if it's to look like a neck through or it's some kind of "tone" sandwich thing. But don't think I've seen other bolt-on instruments with that look.

Beautiful bass, nonetheless.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  8. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I’m in agreement. I get the aesthetic; it’s beautiful — a “coffee-table bass” influence. All in all, it’s just not for me. Too many lines. I prefer simpler designs. But KBD’s moving away from the gold hardware is a major improvement in my opinion. Well done.

FRoss6788 likes this.
  9. Killed_by_Death

I stopped believing in Anderton's when they did a demo of Rick-O-Sound & completely botched it by feeding a TRS plug into a mono AB/Y box & their entire demo was just ONE pickup being split to two amps.
    Even the pickup selector switch was on ONE pickup!

If you wan't take my word for it, look at this:

SR1820 | SR | ELECTRIC BASSES | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars

• a : Width 38mm at NUT
    • b : Width 62mm at 24F
    • c : Thickness 19.5mm at 1F
    • d : Thickness 21.5mm at 12F
    • Radius : 305mmR
    SR870 | SR | ELECTRIC BASSES | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars

• a : Width 38mm at NUT
    • b : Width 62mm at 24F
    • c : Thickness 19.5mm at 1F
    • d : Thickness 21.5mm at 12F
    • Radius :305mmR

That's a Standard vs. a Premium, & confirms that they are the same dimensions.

You mean like this?

p2utpaeo0bsrr04phy9i.jpg

Except for the SR1400TE, which actually is a neck-through:

zmdxjnhz0fajyfufva9p.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  10. SgtHulka

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    SR1300 | SR | ELECTRIC BASSES | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars

It refers specifically to an atlas style neck. If it was the same as the soundgear neck why wouldn't they just call it the same thing? Also I don't believe the name is just related to the sandwich woods used in its construction.

11. Killed_by_Death

Oh my!
    that's only around $375 USD, & about half of what I see them selling for pre-owned in the U.S.
    I realize they are aggressive-sounding right out of the box, but they can be tamed with the right EQ. Some claim they have no bottom-end, but if you roll back the Treble knob you'll hear the bottom.
    When I recorded mine the top-end was clipped off & left the bottom & that's when I realized it definitely HAS bottom.

12. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    so 1300 has eq off switch/passive mode. is that what the 1800 has?

13. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    Am still baffled as to how G&L L-2000 has eq [cut] ability even in passive mode.

14. DTRN

DTRN

May 10, 2019
    Twin Cities, MN
    Hey KBD. I purchaced the very same bass and I'm quite happy with it. It cuts nicely in a band situation. Funny...I thought it had no bottom too until I did what you did and back off on the treble. I have tried different basses and just can't find one that has a neck like the Ibby has.

15. Killed_by_Death

The Schecter Apocalypse has an almost identical neck profile! (I think they copied Ibanez verbatim)
    However, in A/B comparing last night & today, I just returned the Schecter, favoring the SR1800E.
    and this is while the SR1800E was wearing 7 month old strings (D'Addario XL balanced tension)

16. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Ima guess that Atlas refers to the titanium rods in the neck — get it: Atlas, titanium... strong? — which are absent in the SR necks. Just a guess.

But KBD is right. The profile is the same, no matter what Anderton’s says.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  17. SgtHulka

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    I'm not buying that a big retailer like that is purposefully lying. They could be wrong of course, but it's more likely that you or kbd has made a mistake.

18. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Really? I’m just looking at Ibanez specs. Take a look for yourself.

19. Killed_by_Death

Ibanez is lying about their specs on their own site to mess with Anderton's :wideyed:
    or Anderton's don't know what the Hell they're talking about

example I was commenting about earlier, they bunked up this demonstration in the way I described
    That is NOT Rick-O-Sound!

Not only are they not using a proper splitter, the pickup selector was in the down position the entire time:

upload_2019-12-4_9-41-46.png

Drink the Anderton's Kool-Aid if you like, but they are wrong!

I measured & compared a SR300E with my SR1800E, they are the same.

Stevorebob likes this.
  20. Killed_by_Death

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021