1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preparation for bass guitar

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Aj_110, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Aj_110

Aj_110

Jun 10, 2018
    Hello there, I'm waiting for a bass guitar that I bought, and in the mean time I realized that I have one of those super cheap short scale first act discovery acoustic guitars from many years back, and I was wondering if there is anything that I can do with it to prepare for the bass guitar.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Aj_110 and Staccato like this.
  3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I doubt the First Act guitar is likely to be much use for actually developing any skills. How long do you have to wait for your bass to be delivered? Have you played a musical instrument before?

A couple of things I can think of - read up on a little music theory - what notes are, what a scale is, etc. Look up where the notes are on a bass fretboard.

- listen to your favorite music and concentrate on picking out the bass line from the rest of the music.

- Watch some Scott Devine (Scottsbasslessons) videos on youtube.

Aj_110 likes this.
  4. The first four strings of the guitar and bass are the same. Take the top two strings off (the B and top little E) and learn where the notes are on this modified bass fret board. That getting started sticky will have a bass fret board with notes shown.

First position, first five frets, will have all the notes you will need right at first. Let's start by pounding some roots to a key of C progression.....

CCCC, FFFF, GGGG, (that should sound good) loop back and do it again. Use the C on the second string. The F is up a string same fret. And the G is down a string same fret. Piece of cake....

Find a D on the second string, yep the G and A will be found up and down a string, same fret. You are making music already.

Have fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2018
    BOOG, Aj_110 and Staccato like this.
  5. Here is the fret board....
    IV will be C, D, E, F. Up a 4th.
    V will be C, D, E, F, G. Down a 5th.

upload_2014-8-24_6-54-41-.

Picture is worth a thousand words.... Want the IV, go up a string. Want the V go down a string. Yep all over your fret board. If there is not a string down - from where you are - then go up a string and toward the bridge two frets for the V.

Hang on --- we notate chords with Roman numbers and notes with Arabic numbers, 1-2-3, etc.

The ii chord, or 2 note, will be same string and toward the bridge two frets.
    The iii chord, or 3 note, will be up a string and back a fret. The flat 3 - I catch it right after the ii.
    The IV we've talked about. IV for chords and 4 for notes.
    The V we've talked about. V for chords and 5 for notes.
    The vi will be up two strings and back a fret. Over the 3.
    The vii will be up two strings and over one fret. The flat vii is over the IV next string up.
    The octave will be up two strings and over two frets.

Those patterns work all up and down your fret board. Want the B major scale (has 5 sharps) start on B and use the above memory pegs and the notes of the B major scale are waiting on you - right where they are supposed to be. You now know where the notes are going to be on your fret board. :hyper:

Next you kinda need to know the spelling for what you are looking for. For example a Cmaj7 chord's spelling is 1-3-5-7. The natural minor scale's spelling is 1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7. That getting started sticky will give you the spellings on just about everything you will be needing right at first.

Have fun.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    BOOG likes this.
  6. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Gotta love when somebody posts for an array of information, a string of people take a few minutes out of their time to help and ........crickets

7. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    It is a message board, not a live chat. Some people can only check in once a day. In the past because of data restrictions message boards discouraged the posting to just say thank you, I concur etc.

8. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    And my signature presents itself, once again.
    Please, forgive my ignorance in the ways of your standards.
    However, considering the question, considering the join date and considering that was the one and only post/activity in the last 30 hours or so, I’d consider it not to be a serious inquiry that some very knowledgeable and respectable members have taken the time out to share their valuable time and information to help an individual that made themselves appear to seeking help.
    Have a nice day!:thumbsup:

9. Karlson541

Karlson541 Banned

Jun 9, 2018
    While everything will be easier and quicker to learn when you have an actual instrument to practice on and relate it to, some read up on basic theory and finger exercises wont harm you.

10. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Make sure you learn the G Major Neutral Zero chord...

rendevouz likes this.
  11. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Watch as many YouTube videos as possible learning the styles of bass you want to achieve. And if you're looking for some easy bass tunes to learn, check search Cifra Club Bass on the YouTube for songs and tabs. They break it down real easy.