Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preparing a bass for shipping

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by count_funkula, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Whats the best way to pack a bass to be shipped if you don't have a case for it? It has a tilt-back style headstock.

2. Personally I would go buy a huge roll of bubble wrap, brown parcel tape, stiff cardboard and newspapers scrunched up to pad it out.

Place guitar in a rectangle box (this can be made), Now a handy tip is to cut a couple of strips of cardboard about 2 or 3 inches wide (slightly higher than guitar) roll these strips up and then place them near the headstock and cut aways. This will keep direct pressure off the body and neck once the box is sealed. Also make sure theres plenty of packing under the neck.
    Parcel tape the whole thing up and stick fragile stickers on front and back!
    A roll of card under the angled headstock will help as well!

Hope that helps.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'll second everything Floyd said and add something else-

If you need to calculate the shipping costs before shipment, like if you were selling a bass to someone, make sure you go to the actual shipping center for a quote! Do NOT use the online calculator! I got burned by FedEx that way.

4. Didn't Steve "Dude" Barr have some tips on his website at one point on how to pack basses?

Dude?