1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Prepping Pickguard for custom artwork

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by A Rock, Apr 21, 2010.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    I have a talented friend who is studying illustration at the school of visual arts in nyc. I want him to do a custom graphic on a pickguard for my fender. How do I prep a pickguard before giving it to him so that that he can work on it?

2. I don't know what you mean by "prepping". I would think you'd just give him the pickguard, let him do his thing, spray a thin coat of poly on it for protection, then slap it on you bass.

3. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    Oh, I wasn't sure if paint could easily be applied onto a stock pickguard or if needed to be sanded and/or primed. Of course, Plan on spraying a clear-coat afterward for protection.

4. What kind of paint is he using?

5. I've always gave them a light sanding (400 grit), 2 coats of primer, wait 24hrs, then paint to desired color.

6. Jim11895

Jim11895

Dec 10, 2009
    Atlanta
    I'm in the high performance paint biz. For best adhesion and durability, light sanding with 400 grit as mentioned above is the way to go. Follow by wiping with a clean rag dampened with thinner, then apply the coating. Depending on the type of paint being used, a primer may or may not be needed. If not sure, a good quality epoxy primer can't go wrong.

7. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    Thanks guys. I know he mostly does acrylic and oil paints...maybe I can get him to do paint markers which i think is the same as spray paint graffiti artists use