1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Prepping to buy....last minute questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Piezoman, May 6, 2006.

1. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    I am graduating soon and with the money I am gunna get for graduation, I think im gunna get a mesa rig.........so I just have a few last questions on what they can do and what to get.

So......I went to rudy's in nyc and tried out a Mesa BB750 w/ a powerhouse 4x10 and loved it. I am still up in the air about getting either the 400+ or the BB750. My questions are.....

-If I dont have all the tubes in the 400+, can I get the same tone at say 1/2 the power(6 tubes)? probably for shows where I will be mike'd to get the good tube sound at human volumes.

-How does the BB750 tube overdrive simulation compare to real tube distortion like on the 400+? I tried the distortion on the 750 and thought it was just ok.

my guitarist is playing with a mesa dual rectifier 1/2 stack. I'd imagine both amps would keep up pretty well w/ a 4x10? or should I opt for a 6x10 or 4x12?

2. Get a GK 412 and a Mesa 400+, that'll teach your guitarist who's boss and which Mesa tube head with 412 is better!

3. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    400+ gets my vote. I have one.

4. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    and my tube limiting power reducing question?