1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

prescotts

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ekspain, Mar 13, 2008.

1. ekspain

ekspain

Feb 22, 2008
    Europe
    I'm thinking about trying a Prescott, and was wondering what people thought about the sound of those things. I've heard that they sound pretty big, which is what I'm looking for. But it seems, unless the neck is replaced, and string length reuduced it could be a drag to get around on. Any ideas would be cool. I really looking for a great audititioning bass. Thanks fellow bassists!

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    First, is it a real Prescott? If you show me some good pics here I will confirm that for you. Second, after seeing the model and condition, I will tell you if it's a good buy or not. Measurements are needed as well.

Some Prescotts I have seen were what we call 'negative value'. The cost to acquire and restore them 'properly' exceeding its market value.

Read these two Threads on the Prescott and Yankee Basses. then come back after your homework is down and show the pics of the Bass you are curious about.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210742
    http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?t=5

3. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Hey Ken
    I'm trying to remember if the Prescott that I had sold about 13 years was made with a neck block. Is it true that he made many without neck blocks? I should post some pics that I have before and after restoration. I thought that Gage had to put a block in. Anyways, my point in regards to this thread is along the same lines. Prescotts can be fabulous instruments, but have a qualified EXPERIENCED repairman look at it. If it is in original condition it can cost TONS to get it working. Often you're talking a neck block and scroll graft before you even start looking at other things. I played a gig at the Symphony hall in Detroit a few months ago. A guy was borrowing one of the orchestra basses with the opening act. He was playing a beautifully restored Prescott. The bass sound thin and terrible.So be careful in buying an unplayable bass hoping that restoring it will yield a great instrument. I lucked out with mine.It was unplayable when I bought it, but I got it for cheap. Fortunately it sounded great, but you never know.

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Prescotts are over 150 years old at the earliest and some closer to 180-190 years old. Even if they have been worked on or modified with a Block does not mean the Block or graft is still good. The one I bought needed a new Block and Graft and neither was original. The Upper and middle bout cuts were fine but it still needed to be reduced to just under 42" string length.

Mine was in fantastic condition for both its age and it being a Prescott. Many Prescotts are a total mess. Some are huge and some of the first ones were made as large Cellos the size of a 4/4 Bass. These are the least desirable as Cello shouldered Basses are no fun to play.

I saw two in the last 2 years and they were offered to me for sale. Even if I got them for free, it would be a risk financially after a full restoration.

5. Cosmos

Cosmos

Sep 21, 2006
    New York, NY
    WOW. All I can say is... now that's a bass! Very nice! So cool! Wow.

John Salkowski of the BSO has one. It's gorgeous!

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Anybody play Linc Milliman's Prescott? THAT'S a beautiful bass sound.

7. ekspain

ekspain

Feb 22, 2008
    Europe
    the one I'm talking about is at robertsons for 75k. It needs a new neck,
    as the current owner feels the new owner should take care of that...
    But it seems it is a well know instrument. It was owned by Eugene Wright...I'm a little worried about that fact that changing the neck may significantly alter the sound in a bad way...after I spent all that money..seems like a big risk-

8. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    Yes, briefly when I was at his house once.

Great bass. I called him before purchasing mine and remember him telling me that his has a replaced either top or back. I can't remember which. He also said that it is not as loud under the ear as it is in the room a few feet away. Mine has this quality as well to some extent, but is smaller than his. I'm only 5'7" so I was lucky to find a smaller Prescott. 3/4 w/deep ribs, so it can be considered a small 7/8 gamba. They are rare. There is nothing small about the sound it spreads though. Mine can be seen here;http://www.thetalkbasses.com/

Linc is a great guy and player.

BTW- He also owns a Fendt!

Bri