1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Presence knob = treble knob?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Zakmusic, May 21, 2011.

1. Zakmusic

Zakmusic

Aug 1, 2010
    I got a sansamp 3 channel bass driver recently and is doing some tweaking with it. Could any1 tell me what what actually is the presence knob? It sounds like like duplicate of the treble knob to me. The manual says it brings up the "upper harmonic", what does that mean?

I'm pairing it with a rickenbacker 4003. Couldn't quite get a satisfying tone at the moment. I play kind of hard to get that slap like tone. It would go too bassy to hear the slap-like tone clearly, or too honky when i try to boost the mids. I almost got the slap-like tone i wanted but it goes too clanky.

Seems like 750hz is not a good mid freq to work with in a 4003.

Could any ric players give me some suggestions?

2. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    I've always heard/thought that presence is high upper-mids, just below treble. So probably in the 800-1600 Hz range.

3. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    John Phillips wrote:

"In some amps it's more of an upper-mid EQ control, but in the classic Bassman-derived/Marshall circuit it's a negative feedback loop high frequency control. Turning the presence up takes highs out of the NFB loop.

What this means is that it doesn't so much control the amount of top-end - although it does to some extent - but that it controls the dynamics of the top end. NFB is like a 'regulator' - used to smooth and even out the response - so if you take some frequencies out of the loop, these become less restricted and 'peakier'.

Turning up the presence not only makes the amp brighter, it makes the brightness more spiky and dynamic than the rest of the sound too... which makes it very much more obvious and helps the amp cut better in a mix, and is why 'presence' is such a good name. It doesn't affect any particular frequency, since it's done with a single cap - it simply has more effect the higher the frequency.

The fact that it works on the NFB loop (which is part of the power stage) also explains why it doesn't seem to do all that much at lower volume when the power stage is clean, since the NFB loop is working on an undistorted sound with fairly even frequency balance, but once the power stage goes into clipping this generates a lot more highs, and the presence control become far more effective - on classic Marshalls, it basically becomes the only control that does much when the amp is fully cranked :)."

4. sidez81

sidez81

Mar 16, 2011
    QLD, Australia
    Man I dont play a ric, I play an assortment of P's and J's (so anything made by Squier or the F-bomb) BUT I do own and use the bass driver you speak of and one trick ive learnt with it is that blend dial is where the funs at. Just roll back the treb so its not clanky and dont worry too much about the boomy bass then bring the blend back too bring in some more direct sound that should (well does for me) even things out in its own way. Get quite a floggin slap tone considering the way the bass driver works is in a "mid scooped" sorta vibe

5. Zakmusic

Zakmusic

Aug 1, 2010
    Should the blend knob be used when the BD is plugged in the power amp or infront of the original pre amp

6. presence in bass is normally 6-10khz if im not mistaken. your air, string noise, and well.. presence live here. in moderation, good. too much and you get ice pick.

7. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Lower...
    You'll get some nice "air" etc. like you say on bass, but that's definitely the highest range that's remotely applicable to bass. Past 10kHz you've got noise and not much else.

Presence would be more like 1.5kHz - 4kHz, IMO.

That presence control on the BDDI (and I'm assuming the same on the Programmable or Deluxe or whichever you have) I found really cool. Turn down the treble, turn up the presence fairly high, add some drive and blend in clean until you get some low mids back. Tasty.

8. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    I replaced the BDDI with a VT a couple of months ago due to the addition of the mid-knob. However, I felt that though the VT sounded cool by itself it got lost in the bandmix. So the BDDI went back on the board; dimed presence and blendknob at 9 o'clock... It was good to be back!

9. schwarzwinds

schwarzwinds

Jun 20, 2010
    i have the SansAmp BDdeluxe, and according to my ears its somewhere around the upper-mids.