presence (noob question)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by soontobedead, Oct 6, 2005.

1. soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    Hi there... i have an EQ question... i wonder how can you cut out all mids (like a V shape in a graphic EQ) and not get buried in a mix... i really like the no-mids tone, but i get buried the minute the guitars crash in... i can't raise the volume no more because EVERYONE has the volumes up to ten (i guess i should get me one of those spinal tap amps :p ).
    I have a compressor and if i raise the gain knob, i get louder but the sound gets dirty and i don't like it...
    Is there a way to maintain audibility without having to turn down the guitars?

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Most guitarists play with a scooped tone, and therefore you will get buried being lower tuned and cutting the same frequencies.

Boost your mids to cut through, pretty much no other way around it.
  3. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Sure, remember also that what sounds best solo, and what sounds best in a group are completely different.
  4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
  5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I don't like the sort of honky sound that boosted mids give but when I have the iPod band cranked up to 11 it's the only way I can hear myself playing along.

If you analyze a freq graph of a bass guitar, you'll see that the low bass fundamentals are there but they are lower in level compared to the harmonics in the midrange. These harmonics are not only louder but easier to hear too, so you boost them :)
  6. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    try with a graphic EQ, and try boosting different mids.... some may sound good and some bad, some will make you cut and some wont.
  7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I come from a different school of thought. I like using a cross overed system. I still cut through the mix, and it seems much of it is because you can feel me too.

8. I was in the same boat for a while, now I have the low mids boosted, mid cut, high mids boosted and highs cut a little,
  9. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    sometimes, for some songs, the bass should be more felt that heard. I love mids, but not all the time.
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well the only way around it... have the guitarist cut his lows. The guitarist needs to be where you are not at, and you need to be where the guitarist isn't.