Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Presence?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bushfire, Dec 2, 2004.

1. I don't know if this is the right forum so sorry if it isn't, but...

On my amp there is a knob labelled "presence" I have no idea what it does, and it doesn't seem to affect the sound at all, but maybe thats just my dud ear :)

Anyone got any ideas? thank you

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Tha usually refers to an upper midrange boost, around 3kHz, which your speakers might not be able to reproduce anyway.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

It can vary widely depending on the amp manufacturer. I believe the SansAmp presence control is in the 2-3kHz range. However I had another amp that voiced presence at 10kHz. So, presence can vary from high mid to low treble to ultra-treble.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What kind of amp is it? Is it a tube amp? Presence controls are typically found in tube amps, more so than in solid state amps. Typically they're centered around 2-3 kHz, and in a bass amp they'll tend to emphasize the middle and high portions of the string noise range. They tend to be pretty subtle, more so than the ordinary tone stack controls. If the control on your amp is actually working, you should be able to hear it quite nicely through an SWR Goliath, or any other cab with a tweeter. It should be especially obvious in an SWR cab, 'cause their tweeters usually have a nasty midrange peak right in the same frequency band. :)