1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Presenting Gabby

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Ghost_Note, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Hi Folks,

Today is special for me, for my first DB made the journey from Connecticut to my waiting arms in Southern California. Her name is Gabby and she's an Upton Standard Gamba.

As mentioned in earlier posts, I've gone from nearly 35 years of lead guitar, 8 years of electric bass and now on to DB. I'm thrilled!

Gabby comes with the Upton solo finger board and my benchmark strings are Evahs.

I was fortunate in that I had Chris, from Upton, play Gabby for me over the phone. He stated that she has a beautiful arco tone, especially for a plywood bass. Once I got a hold of her, I discovered this for myself. I brought one of my Upton Bows (French,from having studied cello 12 years ago) glazed with Oak Rosin and brought bow to string like I'd done it a million times. Gabby sang out a beautiful fundamental G that vibrated the floor. At that folks, was the first time I had ever played a note, taht wasn't for tuning purposes, on a DB.

As I read here in TB, the sensation of feeling your bass vibrate against you is a thing of beauty. Needless to say, I experienced that for the first time today.

I know it was a huge leap of faith to purchase an instrument sight, and ears, unseen. Like many of you, I have been long aware that musical instruments are such vastly personal things and that we can spend a great deal of time and effort searching for just the right one.

I feel that I've found in Gabby, a dear and treasured friend that will grow with me in the passing years and will lead me into the rich world of the DB.

Here she is....

Photo one comes from Upton. The fine folks there are using Gabby's photo for their website promotion since she is one of their first production Gambas.

The second is my son and I hanging out with "The Gabs."

Now, to get started with some formal lessons :)

Attached Files:

2. RDW

RDW

Feb 5, 2008
    RDU
    Congratulations!

I like the looks of Upton's new gamba. I considered one as well, but chose an Eberle instead - also purchased sight unseen and sound unheard. Upton gets great reviews, but I couldn't find anything negative about the Eberle in my research, other than the finish...

Difference is yours was probably shipped with a nice setup and mine is currently with Nick Lloyd, who is working his magic.

(Note that the setup issue is not a dig - Steve at Ideal Music was clear that the Eberle would need a good setup, but at the price point it is offered, only makes sense.)

I am also new to DB. Have played the electric, horizontal slab version for 20+ years, but in my limited 2.5 weeks with the Eberle, I understand that this is a completely different instrument. I have lessons from a local teacher lined-up as soon as I get the bass back from Nick.

Looks like you got a few extras with the adjustable bridge and solo fingerboard. Nice! Enjoy.

3. kurtsnyder

kurtsnyder

Oct 31, 2006
    Nashville
    Congratulations on your new bass! She's a real beauty!! Ah, that's such an exciting feeling to unpack your bass and see it and hear it in person for the first time! I like the name Gabby too. :D

4. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Nice bass! Enjoy.:hyper:

5. Thanks everyone.

All I could think of today at work is playing, practicing and woodsheding.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    ...and that's what having a beautiful new baby is all about. :)

7. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I've been staring at your bass on the Upton site, and I _think_ that I've convinced myself to start $aving.... I'll be PM'ing you in the days ahead, as I work out some of the details of my current (borrowed) upright! That is GORGEOUS!

8. Gabby thanks you :) and by all means, feel free to PM....