1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PreServe and Protect (swamp ash)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrenBass123, Dec 25, 2017.

1. BrenBass123

BrenBass123

Dec 25, 2017
    So, I’ve stripped my Warwick of its dodgy honey violin lacquer finish which was peeling and worn in places, now I’m looking to “finish” off the swamp ash body and I’m told that using a wooden furniture cream which nourishes, moisturizes and preserves wood with a good buffing is all that is necessary.
    Please advise as I’m sure you all have a lot more experience finishing this type of project than I do!

Many thanks

2. BrenBass123

BrenBass123

Dec 25, 2017
  3. BrenBass123

BrenBass123

Dec 25, 2017
    So, just to confirm, i can’t just use any random furniture cream to finish the bare ash body? I need to use either a wax or oil to protect the wood?

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm not prepared to say that. I merely parroted off the brand of product I hear most often associated with Warwicks.

5. BrenBass123

BrenBass123

Dec 25, 2017
    Excellent, appreciate the reference. Thanks

6. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    I'd say you'd want some sort of sealant to protect the bare wood. Feed-N-Wax says it has bee's and carnauba wax which would do the job protecting the bare wood.

Product says it needs to be reapplied every 3-6 months.

To me this sounds like Tung oil that I've finished gunstocks with in the past. Certainly not as durable as poly (what is, that stuffs near indestructible) or lacquer, but can be pretty easily touched up by reapplying to nicks and scratches.

7. BrenBass123

BrenBass123

Dec 25, 2017
    Fantastic, I’m going to try get my hands on some feed and wax, not sure if there are suppliers here in Cape Town but I’ll look into matching products if Howard’s isn’t available.
    Not keen on going for the lacquer finish after feeling the wood bare and putting energy into it.
    Shot Jaybones ✌