Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preserve the life of your strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by geoffkhan, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Okay, I know about boiling strings and using alcohol and all that stuff, but I was wondering...

Would wearing gloves (maybe surgical gloves) prevent the strings from getting dirty and thus dying? I would imagine a problem with wearing surgical gloves whilst playing would be the fact that there's not much ventilation in the gloves, and that could be harmful for your hands.

So anyways, besides looking very goofy at gigs, would wearing gloves keep strings fresh longer?

Just curious. I got my first Elixir strings today, so I'm not especially worried about them dying soon. They'll be great, I'm sure.

2. fragcon

fragcon

Jun 23, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    elixer strings have a plastic coating on them that prevents them from dying fast... just wipe your strings down with some type of fluid after you play and they should last a while

3. Uh. PLaying bass with gloves on, especially latex ones, would wear right through the glove in about 3 minutes. Not to mention you would be forcibly putting latex in between string windings.

If you want strings that stay fresh for a long time, try DR high beams. And when those go dead, soke them in denatured rubbing alcohol overnight. And they should be nearly good as new.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I don't remember the guys name, but a bassplayer always wore silk gloves while playing. He said it kept the strings new for a LONG time, and he liked the tone that he got.

5. It's so dumb looking though.

That's like swimming with a helmet on.

6. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Oh man, that would be so detrimental to your playing. I bet those things would be so "grabby" you wouldn't have any control over dynamics.

...not to mention they'd get chewed up rather quickly.

...not to mention how ridiculous you would look ;)

7. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    ah hah!

The February 2003 edition of Bass Player: Etienne Mbappe with the (Joe) Zawinul Syndicate..was on the group's then latest album: Faces & Places.
    fav bass: custom (Christian) Noguerra Five.

8. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    ur not seriously considering playing with gloves on are you?

i used to boil em but i got tired of it. i use DR low riders and they last LONG! i've had them on for 3 months now and they are still fine. i wipe em off after playing with a cloth and i make sure my hands are clean before i play.

9. +1 Cosmo...

But hey, David Bowie looked smashing with white gloves on in the "let's Dance" video...

then again, he had poison ivy at the time. :smug:

10. I just got those Elixir strings, so no, I don't think I'm going to need to wear gloves. But if gloves seriously improve the tone and life of the bass, sure I'll do it, because it's more about music than about myself.

"Swimming with a helmet"? Haha, that's so funny. (removes helmet)

What I'm actually more worried about is that my ferocious (well, not THAT ferocious) slapping will wear out the strings pretty quickly.