Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preserving an autograph on my bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BillyB0168, Sep 11, 2000.

1. BillyB0168

BillyB0168

Sep 4, 2000
    About 3 or 4 weeks ago I went to a Bela Fleck and the Flecktones concert. Amazingly before the concert I went to get some food and I seen Victor Wooten sitting there eating. We chated for about 10 min, and then he signed my bass. Ever since then im affraid to play that bass. Is there any kind of spray you can put on your bass so signatures will not rub off or anything?

Thanks a lot,
    Bill

2. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't have an answer for you, sorry, but I have to ask: why did you bring your bass to a Flecktones concert?

-GM, who's seen the Tones a number of times, but never thought to bring a bass

[Edited by Big Wheel on 09-12-2000 at 09:05 AM]

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

4. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    What's this? The Moderator edited my post? But but but...all that swearing and cursing and ranting and name calling was NECESSARY! Sheesh...can't believe you edited me...cripes! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

-GM, cheek firmly meeting tongue...

[Edited by Big Wheel on 09-12-2000 at 05:45 PM]

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Oops, did it again! :D

Will C.:cool:

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    ..trying 2 get some sense back in2 this thread...:D

Sprays are risky...safest method is to protect the signature with a clear pickguard...although - is a signature worth messing up your bass? Even Vic's? Fandom should stop here IMO...

7. apollo bassist

apollo bassist

Sep 23, 2000
    Yes there is something you can spray on an autograph to preserve it. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the name of it is. It also depends on what the person signed with (i.e. permanent marker, paint pen, etc). Take your bass to a local auto body repair person who does custom paint jobs and ask.
    If I remember what the name of that spray stuff is, I'll post it.

Apollo:)Bassist

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd say spray some gibson guitar polish on there and rub vigourously.

oh, wait, you want to _keep_ it on there, oh, well, never mind.