Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Presets for a rock tone with growl

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thejamesjordan, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Thejamesjordan

Thejamesjordan

Mar 2, 2006
    Hey, I have a Schecter Diamond series 5 string, Ampeg 6 x10 cabinet, and an Ampeg SVT 3 Pro head. I am still looking for the perfect rock tone with growl, and a nice low end. Does anyone know any general presets that might set me in the right direction?

Thanks

2. boost your mids. also try steel strings like DR hi-beams.
    pick or pluck near the bridge.

3. Welcome to TB:hyper:

Let me be the first to inform you that you will never, ever find the perfect tone. Be happy to come close!!

4. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    I am legendary among my friends (when I say friends I mean my mother's ceramic yard gnomes) for having a very cutting growly tone. All I will say is this, "thou shalt not forsake thy mids." Boost them a little and you'll be there. Best of luck.

5. ..I'll second the mids, and pushing the front-end of your amp pretty good to get some nice aggression.

Think of your mids as thickness of tone(bass), and definately don't use more bass than mids - bass can turn your tone into pure mud in a live setting. And treble that sounds like too much when soloed can give the bass some clarity in a mix..

6. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Yes, yes, yes. Drive your preamp as hot as you can without clipping it. You will be using your amp to it's full potential.

7. Thejamesjordan

Thejamesjordan

Mar 2, 2006
    Thank you for all of the responses, the decision seems pretty unanimous, mids it is, haha. I had my lows cranked, which provided a nice thick bottom, which I want to maintain however. I understand it can drown out the growl of the mids, any other suggestions as far as maintaining the low end without drowning the mids?

Thanks again

8. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey
    Back off the bridge pickup a little and favor the neck pickup. Then, play agressively right over the neck pickup. Deep growl.

Peace

9. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    +1 on the low mids suggestion.
    It gives you growl and low end, without mudding your sound and sucking all your amp power on frequencies barely heard.

10. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Crank the gain, boost your mids, roll the lows back a bit (on your graphic EQ, just the lowest frequency) and turn up the highs too, then use the master to taste.

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    +1
    doing this will bring out the growl and the mids.
    What I do is turn both pickups on full, pluck my open E or B then slowly turn down the neck pickup until I hear that midrange growl pop up.

12. Thejamesjordan

Thejamesjordan

Mar 2, 2006
    Nice, thanks again, goin to practice tonight, should have some feedback in a little bit.