1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Presicion with J pup sound ?¿

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dadodetres, Mar 21, 2006.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Hi!

I was wondering if a Presicion with an installed jazz Pup can sound like a jazz.

For example, whe you solo the bridge pup and cut all the tone in a jazz for a jaco-like sound.

2. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Logically, yes. Soloing the bridge pickup will give you only the signal from the bridge pickup, therefore sound similar to any other J style bass with the bridge pup soloed.

Also, I don't think you'd want to cut the tone to get a Jaco-like sound. He seemed at least somewhat treble-y to me.

3. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

Logically yes, and practically?

so if the position is good calculated, armonics foir example can sound as good as a jazz ? and both pickups in full can give me that round and full sound??

thanks

4. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    It's very similar, but not exact. I've got a bass with Fralin P/J's. The P is reversed and the J is hum-cancelling and hotter to match the P. Soloing the split-coil gives a smoother, softer P tone. Soloing the bridge is very close to a classic single coil tone. The hum cancelling in effect fattens it up ever so slightly.

Together they sound quite different than two jazz pickups dimed. It is fatter (as you would expect) with more pronounced mids and less low extension. I personally dig it. I find that it punches through better than dual J's and still has that aggressive vibe to it.

I'm a Pbass player at heart, so I view it as a jazz bass that suits my needs/wants much better.

5. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    thanks!
    so when soloing the bridge and cutting tone: the nasal mids are there?

Where can i hear a bass inaction with Fralin`s ?

6. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Bridge alone should sould like a jazz provided it is place in the same place in relation to the bridge as a Jazz. Combo has to sound somewhat different. Neck Jazz and P bass sound is different, so in combo with bridge there will be differences.

P/J combo, as you know, is very popular.

As far as the Jaco sound goes, it only begins with the pickups, mostly it's his percussive 16th note approach with ghousted notes and his singing lyrical ballad playing, not to mention an unbelievable understanding of the chords and harmony, God given physicality and ablity, a totally original thought process and arranging skills that made Jaco sound like Jaco. I guess the bridge pickup is the easy part.

Keep in mind, routing additional pickups in an existing P bass will hurt the resale down the line with regard to vintage status. Don't know if that's important but thought is was worth mentioning.