1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PreSonus AudioBox USB 96 vs Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Clark W, May 16, 2019.

1. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Well I didn't start out the day intending to be able to compare the two. Nor did I want to. But Focusrite wins hands down.

I started out buying the PreSonus. Got home, hooked it up, and there was all kinds of snap, crackle, and popping sounds. It didn't matter if I went DI from my Ampeg or GK or line in from the bass. Which DAW I used, which USB port I used, or which USB cable I used. Or if I even had anything hooked up to the PreSonus at all. The minute I hit the record button in any of my software packages, snap, crackle, pop. It did send the bass signal to the computer, but along with snap, crackle, pop. After about 45 mins of using various software programs to record, it finally just quit and the computer couldn't see it all.

Anyway I took it back to GC, that's a whole other story. Let's just say there's a reason I don't do major purchases with them, and I veered from that philosophy today, never again. After a brief 10 minute customer relations toe to toe tangle I got a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen, paid the difference after I got to use my 15% off coupon on my phone for the 2nd time today.

So I got home, uninstalled the PreSonus drivers, installed the Focusrite drivers, cranked up Soundforge, nothing but bass coming through to my recording track. And the build quality, definitely better. The knobs on the PreSonus were skewed and had a wobbly circular pattern to them. Not the Focusrite. Everything is all nice, straight, and aligned perfectly. The clipping rings around them go from green to yellow to red instead of some LED dot that just lights up red on the PreSonus. It was like night and day.

I guess it's really not a fair comparison. Obviously the PreSonus was defective. And defective units slip through the cracks all the time. But next time I buy an interface, if Focusrite makes it, that's the brand I will be buying. As far as GC goes, well, I'll stick to only making minor purchases there such as strings, cables, or straps, and only if my locally owned music shop doesn't have what I want in stock.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    deepestend likes this.
  2. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    If focusrite is BMW, presonus is fiat.

Clark W likes this.
  3. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Great analogy!

4. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    This is very helpful. Was just trying to decide between the two. This seals it.

Clark W likes this.
  5. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    I've been very happy with my Focusrite. And I actually gave GC another chance on a major purchase, a Fender Kingman V2, and have been very happy with that purchase. But I also dealt with someone other than the guy I dealt with on the PreSonus / Focusrite saga. He always acts like he's too good to help me when I shop there, even when I'm spending 600 bucks on a bass. So I let someone else sell it to me and get the credit for it.

6. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Obviously.
    I'm a proud owner of Presonus Studio One v.4 Pro.

7. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 with PreSonus R65 monitors and a T10 Temblor Sub. Killer combo.
    Focusrite for the interfaced win every time IMHO.
    Rock on.

Clark W likes this.