Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PreSonus Eureka Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J.T, Jul 25, 2005.

1. J.T

J.T

Mar 9, 2005
    Tulsa, Ok
    ENDORSING ARTIST: TOBIAS BASSES
    Hey TB, I know several of you use the Pre Sonus Eureka pre-amp. I am have a lot of problems with this unit and need some help. My unit keeps blowing something on the inside. I will plug in and play, then all of the sudden the VU meter peaks (and stays in the peak position) and no sound will come out. This has happened twice now......I am running a furman PC, so have no idea what is happening! Any thoughts....

ps I have returned this unit once for the same exact thing, and will be doing it again, to get something different I guess, due to the un-reliability of this.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I have a PreSonus TubePre that has been back twice now. The customer service was good, they even sent a new power adapter to make sure that wasn't the problem. It hasn't blown up since.

3. stringtheorist

stringtheorist

Jul 14, 2005
    I am considering one of these, so I am curious to find out what happens with this.

4. J.T

J.T

Mar 9, 2005
    Tulsa, Ok
    I would like to recoomned the Eureka, but it is becoming more diffficult. It does have great clarity, and more headroom than you can use. All of the features are subtle (at least to my ears), but still has great tone. I pair mine w/ a sansamp bddi to help pull some grity-tubey sound when I need it. It is my understanding, that these can be ordered w/ the jensen transformer which I would definatly recomend. I haul mine everywhere in a 4 space case, so it sees some hard hitting action, but I cant believe that it is causing this problem. I even bought a auralex sound isolater to set on my cab to help reduce vibration.

5. J.T

J.T

Mar 9, 2005
    Tulsa, Ok
    Well, Tried to exchange the unit last night at the local gc, and had no luck. Apparently these units can be ordered (or mod'd) w/ Jensen DI's, and that is the only way to take it. I guess thaey have seen several problems with sensitive transformers blowing randomly. This is the second one I have been through in 6 months. The first time was in my studio while playing, the second was at a gig when my sound tech swapped the xlr cables! 2 completely different envrioments, same result. I wanted to get aomething more expensive, but they still would not, told me to deal w/ gc directly.....JERKS. Whatever happened to customer service. Its now all about push it out the door, and after 30 days, screw em all!

6. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Thats odd. The CS rep I dealt with at PreSonus was pretty nice and after sending me the authorization #, told me to ship it back and in less than 2 weeks ( both times) I had my unit back. If its under warantee, they have to take it back at PreSonus. Don't deal with GC, they're pooheads.

7. J.T

J.T

Mar 9, 2005
    Tulsa, Ok
    Yeah, thats what I am doing. I have a call into them for authorization. Your right, GC are pooheads! I will never deal with them again.

Hopefully Presonus will be easy to deal with ( I am sure they will) .

8. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey JT - sorry to hear about your problems with the Eureka. Mine has worked well so far, but I haven't used it all that much. One question -- do you know where I can get it modded with a Jensen DI? Then I wouldn't need my Demeter 201s...

Thanks!
    Aram

9. J.T

J.T

Mar 9, 2005
    Tulsa, Ok
    I have a contact at the local gc (he was not the one hassling me, but the management) and he says they can order them, then you (or your local elctronics wiz) intall them. I am not sure if Presonus will install the Jensen or not. BUT, I would not use the gc for anything.....I would rather give a bum a catalog and use him for all my needs!

(but I am very anti-gc right now, so I apologize to all you all who like them)

10. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Great, thanks! I'll look into that!

11. J.T

J.T

Mar 9, 2005
    Tulsa, Ok
    UPDATE!

I have talked to the presonus people..(chad). They were very easy to talk to, and knew thepronlem right away. It ios apparently a chip or something on the output that is faulty. They are going to upgrade it and send it back. They had a bad batch of quadamp output chips from phillips that caused some problems. They will also to the jensen di upgrade if you send them the part. So since I have purchased a demeter, this will be up for sale, so check out the classifieds.

Thanks!

Jt