Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PRESONUS EUREKA UPDATE????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J.T, Mar 28, 2005.

1. J.T

J.T

Mar 9, 2005
    Tulsa, Ok
    ENDORSING ARTIST: TOBIAS BASSES
    I have seen the past threads regarding the PreSonus Eureka, but curious if anyone has any new info, comments, reviews etc....... I am looking at getting this matching with a QSC PLX or RMX series, dont know which cab yet.

Thanks!

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    love mine. great tones. works incredibly well with my Acme cabs... like a swiss army knife.

while the "saturation" knob isnt supposed to work with instrument inputs, oddily, i do get a tubey like feel when i crank it. other than that anomaly, its a great little preamp for a super hifi tone, and highly versatile EQ.

if only alot of basscentric pre's were as cool. or as inexpensive. ;)

3. J.T

J.T

Mar 9, 2005
    Tulsa, Ok
    Thanks!

I did see on past threads about the preamp section not working with the instrument or line inputs, just the mic inputs. I guess thats true unless you get the freak version???
    I run a sansamp bddi so I could use the xlr out put on that to the mic input on the eureka????

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I just returned one to the Guitar Center after trying it out over the weekend. My last preamp was an Agular DB680, which I sold to raise some cash. In comparison, I found the Eureka to be rather dark sounding, and I did not care for the parametric EQ section - it did not have much effect on the tone (especially the highs). Also, the layout of the knobs is rather confusing and hard to read. This unit might work well in a studio setting, but I could not imagine gigging with it. The build quailty is rather questionable. The knobs on the front would move while when plugging or unplugging my bass, indicating that everything is mounted on one poorly mounted circuit board. Again, I don't think it would stand up to regular use as a gigging unit.

5. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I find the Eureka drives my RMX2450 better than my Demeter '201s. It's a really nice pre for bass. You can use the instrument level input no problem, and the saturation knob adds some nice warmth to the sound. I haven't been using my rack lately, but have been planning to revisit that setup. I will post a review if I can gig with it anytime soon.

-Aram

6. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey, are you sure you didn't get a bum unit? My Eureka is the opposite of dark -- I can't imagine it being darker than an Aguilar. The EQ is subtle, and a pain in the arse to adjust on stage, but I usually just set it and forget it, and make any EQ changes on my basses...

7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I don't think I had a bad unit - everything worked. I had an opportunity to compare it directly to an EA iAmp 500 and an Aguilar AG500. That is where my "dark" comment comes from. As always, it's only my opinion, and other people need to decide for themselves.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    actually, JD,

the way you're describing your particular eureka sounds just like my Presonus Firepod. :(

the knobs feel a bit flimsy, and the build quality is a bit funky. the overseas consistency is a bit shoddy.

i'm taking mine back in a few days. maybe you should do the same.

9. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    This isn't really directly related to this thread topic but....

I bought on of those cheapo presonus tube preamps to use tracking stuff on my home studio. It rattled. Thinking this was rather odd I opened it up and found a rectangular piece of plastic loose inside of the box. This was not a peice of the actual preamp in anyway that I could determine. Looks like someone just dropped it in at the factory.

That one incident makes me think twice about purchasing another presonus product. That seems like rather subpar quality control. Of course, the quality control is probably understandably lower on a $99 preamp.

10. J.T

J.T

Mar 9, 2005
    Tulsa, Ok
    Well,

Purchased the Eureka. Have not played around with it too much, but it appears the saturation has no affect on the instrument input (as was stated in earlier posts). I will try running my bass into my pedal board then into the eureka mic input vis the sansamp bddi xlr output. This should allow the use of the saturation. The eq and compressor are very mild, no drastic increases or decreases. It really seems to just let the bass shine. The bddi adds the tube grit when I need it, so I think it should work out. I will post more reviews after rehearsal.

11. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I've noticed an effect from the saturation knob...warms it up a bit. It's subtle, but it's there.

Good luck with your new pre!

-Aram

12. Actually all of the Presonus gear is made right her in the USA! In fact in Baton Rouge Louisiana where we're located. (www.ThePerfectBass.com)

I've been to the factory many times and those guys are pretty particular on QC an even print their own circuit boards. I was very impressed with their plant and I personally own several of their pres (although none that I use outside of the studio).

Anyway, just a little FYI. If you found one that was "loose" in any way, it probably was damaged somewhere along the way to the big box...

Take care,

James

13. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    My experience with Presonus gear has always been good. Never any QC problems and their customer service has been top notch.

I'd say that not using an entire brand of equipment based on a single data point is a bit silly. Especially when that brand is Presonus.

14. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal

What about that review??? ;)

15. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I always try and give a company at least two chances for that reason alone.

16. J.T

J.T

Mar 9, 2005
    Tulsa, Ok
    Well,

I have had a couple of rehearsals with it. Nothing in a live setting though. We rehearse in a studio w/ headphones. This unit has amazing clearity and tons of headroom. All of the features are subtle. It really lets your bass shine through. I tried running my sa bddi xlr out into the eureka mic input on the back to take full advantage, but honestly it did make a huge difference. I will try it live and see if it helps. The eq is great, boost the gains up some and the eureka will really pump out sound. I would only wish for a little more obvious saturation, and a 2nd xlr output (1 goes to power amp, the 2nd would be great to run to the house mix) but this is technically a piece of studio gear. W/ the sa bddi, i can belnd in as much "tubey" sound as "I" need. Run a xlr splitter off the back and that solves the amp/house problem. Overall so far, great clarity, great headroom. It is definately a "high-fi" lovers dream. Not for the "tube-heads" w/o paring w/ a tube pre of some sort (which would be really cool btw).