Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PreSonus Eureka

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brian Barrett, May 25, 2004.

1. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Ok, I’ll try and make a long story short.

So I’m in Guitar Center... yea, yea, I know, but they buy a lot of used gear from me and I have a good relationship with them........ but of course, they buy a lot of gear from me :)

Anyway, a kid walks in looking for an extension cab for his SWR redhead. Of course they start showing him 210 SWR cab’s and Ampeg 115’s, etc. and then sale Manager walks away to do something else for a minute. So I easy over to throw my opinion in and start asking what type of music, blah, blah, blah.

So anyway, I tell the kid that really for Rock and volume he’s talking the redhead with an extension cab probably won’t give him the full volume and power he is looking for because the head just doesn’t have the power. Anyway I tell him that he could probably trade the SWR redhead combo in with his bass Pod pro he isn’t using and actually but the money he would spend on a 210swr cab with it and get a really nice Rig that he can add to anytime and will always have the power he needs. So I tell him if he wants to bring his Redhead and pod up to GC the next day I’ll be happy to come and help him put something together. Of course the sales Manager is all excited, because know one there will do what I’m getting ready to do for this kid and he knows it. Now some are thinking why not use the Pod as a pre...... I hate them, but we did try it anyway and it didn’t work for him or ME!!!!!

Anyway, next day we end up with a New Crown 1600 watts power amp and a New GK 410 with horn. Nice cab for the money ($450), sure beats some of the other names they carry at double the price. So now I’m looking for a preamp, keep in mind this was a 2 hour job helping this kid with and didn’t make a dime (starting to think I should have had him come to my shop for this sale :) so anyway, of course no preamp’s in this joint so I head back to the recording department and come across a Presonus Eureka. I know, finally got to the damn point of this thread...........

I was extremely impressed at a price of $499!!!! Hey it looks cool as well! It’s got a parametric crap, which I’m, not a huge fan of but is easy to work. I start fooling around and this Mic Preamp is really great sounding with a built in compressor. It runs circle’s around most any build in head unit run of the mill name brand GC carries and the clarity of this thing.

So now that I’ve found this little treasure.... So I feel, for a price of $499, has anyone else checked it out??
    I came home the night after all this happened to find that its won all kinds of awards in EQ Magazine, etc.

heres the website
    http://www.presonus.com/eureka.html

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    That actually looks pretty nice. Blue/Silver has always been one of my favorite color schemes. ;)

I'd be very interested in it if I didn't already have my DB680. :smug:

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    there is always upgrading in the future ...... :D jk

Yea, it looks nice, but the clarity of the unit is what blew me away. I'm really interested in trying out the Tubepre they make as well. I've had a couple of the other Presonus stuff in the past that didn't do it for me, but man the Eureka was a cool little unit and for the money....... Heck that Tubpre isn't bad nor is the 3 band eq unit.........

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Tell me more!
    Can it sound fat and tubey or is it just really HiFi?
    How does the saturate knob affect the sound?

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    tagging along for the ride...

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    I played around with it at GC when setting his rig up. The Clarity is what I liked and the flexibility to the unit. Of course I didn't have anyone there that really new the unit that could tweak it or show me anything, so I was pretty much left to show him what I could do with it at first glance. I played with it for about 10-15 minutes. I didn't pull the manual to see what all it could do and what everything did on it. I'm actually waiting for another to arrive so I can go pick it up and take it to my shop where I can really play around with it and test it out through the cabinets and basses I am very familiar with.

I could tell it was super clean sounding, but with his bass and the GK cab, it was really what I wanted to hear coming from the bass, but it was obviously the bass coming through. I could tweak the eq and really fatten the sound up, but I was most interested in the clarity not coloring.

If the thread hasn't disappeared when I get the unit I’ll give a follow up. I just didn’t know if anyone else had found this unit yet?

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Ok, so I went and picked up a Eureka today at GC. WOW, even like it better now that I have had time to spend with it then I did before. It’s extremely versatile and has everything a player would need with the built-in compressor and all the other features. The Parametric eq is cool, and does a wonderful job or shaping the tone with out actually changing the tone. Another cool feature is that you can fully bypass the eq system in the preamp as well as the compressor. Its an extremely flexible unit and would suggest anyone to check it out. It truly puts out what you put into it!

On another note while at GC I picked up the TubePre which has a Drive and Gain control. This unit is really cool for the purist like myself are into the tone and sound of their instrument and not into the sound of what brand X head gives them. Priced at $99 and the Eureka at $499 and would use them for any rig I put together as an option for sure!!!

8. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    How does it compare to the Avalon U5, which you (and many others) are so fond of?

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    The PreSonus is a different unit. It’s got a full parametric which is pretty easy to work with, but can also be bypass as well as having a compressor.

Both are killer unit's, built the presonus can work as a preamp in that you have some control or shaping.

10. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Sorry. I meant if you disregard the compressor and EQ, does the Presonus have the same incredible headroom, smooth frequency response, openness and airiness, and articulation as the Avalon? Seeing that they are both solid-state Class A discrete designs, I'm wondering how close the basic preamp functionality sounds.

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    No problem,

The Presonus is cleaner sounding and doesn't add mouch to your signal. The Avalon adds a little to the tone signal giving a smoothness almost tube warmth. However the Presonus does have a saturation knob that does really have a tube warmth to it when turned up.

12. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    I'm courious to know how the Eureka compares to say a BBE BMAX or a Focusrite Tone Factory ... I've owned both, just got the BMAX as a matter of fact, but even though it sounds studio-sweet, I don't find it versatile at all. I used it in rehearsal today and was a tad disappointed by its shaping capabilities and exaggerated coloring. I only used my T-Bass and sounded close to Marcus Miller, but the T-bass actually doesn't sound like that !! I still have to try it with the Alembic, but if it kills its tone, the BMAX will be on Ebay shortly :rolleyes:

The Eureka certainly offers vast shaping and probably a good compressor, I was actually eyeballing it before getting the BMAX, but decided otherwise because of my previous experience with the Focusrite that sounded too characterless/solid-state to me.

Does the drive on the Eureka really give it some character/growly tubey mids? Can you compare that character to another preamp out there?

13. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    Brian,
    How would the Tube Pre work for simply boosting the level of a passive bass? I like my tone, I just need more gain before going into my amp.

____Fritz

14. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I hope I'm wrong, but I downloaded the Eureka user's manual and it said that when you plug into the instrument jack, it bypasses the transformer and the saturation knob. Is this true or not??

I looked at one at GC today and boy, those knobs are small and the spacing is tight. That makes it hard to turn them. It's not the kind of preamp you'd have in your rack and reach over to adjust something. You'd have to be very deliberate and get close enough to read the printing on the amp. Presonus squeezed 2U worth of knobbies into 1U...

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    ingmar
    From what I understand Guitar Center is the only ones who have the Eureka. So with their return policy I would say buy one and check it out for a few days and decide if you want to keep it or return it.

The Saturation does give nice warmth, yet with he eq at 12 the unit is very clean and gives you very much of what you put into it. I would suggest trying it out, I think it is a better sounding unit then the Max and I haven't tried the Focusrite. If you get a chance to try the Eureka out I would love to hear how it compared...... I hope Guitar Center sends me a thank you card :rolleyes:

FritzM
    The Tubepre will do exactly what you’re wanting. It’s similar to the New True Voice preamp that I'm coming out with soon that Les Plopa who Eng. the Kern preamp is helping me with.
    The Tubepre will give you what you put into it. The Drive is nice for cranking up to get a little tube warmth and the unit has a lot of gain to it. I now my GC has them for $99.

Nightbass
    The Saturation worked fine for me. Not sure if I didn't something wrong or maybe dropped it the right way but I didn't have any problem with the saturation working or anything else. I'm not sure, maybe it’s a feature they changed or a miss-print. The knobs are close, but I don't think you will be tweaking much. I'm not much of a color sound guy, I like it pretty clean and I like to hear my bass I have plugged in. I thought the Eureka did that very well while having shaping if needed. If you get one to try I would love to hear your take. I ran it through a Crest CA6. One of the best Amp manufacture's around!

16. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    Thanks for your feedback Brian ... now I have to figure out where I can plug my bass into an Eureka without buying one ... in France! Forget the return policies over here, when you buy something here you own it unless you mail-order! I'll only go to GC as a last resort, it's a bit far from Paris ;)

17. Ingmar, if you get rid of the BMAX let me know. I want to try one of these out.

18. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    OK, after reading this I think I might actually get me one. I think it has everything I could ever want or need in a preamp. Well, almost. A line out or some sort of direct out would be kinda cool for the larger gigs with PA support. It seems in my experience that soundguys hate when you can change the volume of you direct signal. But yeah, that's about it. Just a thought I had. Any way around this maybe?

19. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    MuzikMan, I'm in Paris/France ;)

20. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Bump.

One of these caught my eye in GC the other day when I was looking for single rackspace compressor/eq's. Anyone have any further comments on the sound? Brian, you still using yours? What's the verdict through Bergantino cabs -- good match?

Thanks!
    Aram