Presonus Firebox?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Big Benner, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Hey all,

I'm finally ready to get a outboard box to use with my laptop computer and started looking and the Presonus Firebox is one that really caught my eye.

I figure I can use two SM58s for recording our loud band rehearsals and two large diapham mics for recording my jazz gigs with the on board phantom power. I can also go to my drummers house and use four mics with the addition of my Behringer stereo preamp (4 inputs). The laptop has firewire and not USB2 so I don't need to buy any adaptor cards.

Anything else? What else should I be looking at for the same price (4 inputs)?

2. The Pink Pony

The Pink Pony

Feb 13, 2005
    I think is the better option in this price range. The new line from Prenonus ( firepod, Eureka, Firebox...) is really impressive. I buy a firepod in november and i really love it. The preamp are really deep and soft for the price. In the past I was running on a M-Audio Unit(Omni studio) and I really hate the preamps.

You dont need to take a pair of dynamic mics(like sm58) for a loud band. A lot of large diaphragm condenser mics can handle
    really big pressure levels and if you want to take a good stereo image of a band, you better use this kind of mics. In my opinion, the best deal for a good large diaphragm mic is the C1 from StudioProjects:
    Its impressively near of a big Neuman U87 at a fraction of the price. I've tried a pair of C1 with my firepod preamps on many sources (acoustic guitar, accordeon, Violin, OverHeads...) and it was really nice. I compare with a Rodes NT-1 and the C1 is more deep, less HARSH and more natural than th NT-1.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Sounds like a good option Benner. I'd probably think about using 57's instead of 58's though, for the band rehearsals. Sometimes I use a little trick with 58's, which is to unscrew the ball and put the mics a little farther away. That seems to work real well in terms of frequency response, but it causes some problems with dynamics sometimes (ie don't put 'em too close to the drums). :)
  4. Thanks guys. I'm still exploring so I'll let you know of any decisions and how they work out.