1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Presonus Firestudio issues

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stachio, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I just bought a brand new Firestudio for my Mac. I was thrilled with it for about a day. At that point, no more output out of it (testing with iTunes). The Firecontrol showed output but still nothing. Eventually, the Firecontrol stopped working and the icon showed a red exclamation point over it...I'm assuming this is a bad sign.
    Any input, guys?

2. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    When is the last time you cleaned out your mac? I get occasional connectivity issues between my mac and my A/D converter and it is always remedied with a cheap can of compressed air.

3. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Thanks for the advice...unfortunately, this is a pretty new iMac.
    Pretty disappointing so far. We'll see if PreSonus tech support comes through.

4. stranger0

stranger0

May 10, 2007
    That sounds wrong, anything else on your mac crash?

I haven't had anything remotely like that with my Firestudio.

5. If its a red light its lost sync for some reason.

There are a number of things which are known to conflict (Wireless connectivity being one).

Hope you get it sorted out, my dealings with the presonus tech support have been good :)

6. stranger0

stranger0

May 10, 2007
    yea same, heck, one of the tech guys called me up and we spent 30 minutes trying to figure out if the general inputs on the back were actually headphone outs...they're not.

hmm, are you using leopard or tiger?

7. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Thanks for the help and input, guys.
    Everything was working fine before work...After work, still looked fine (sync light was solid blue, etc.) but no sound. Eventually, no sound turned to loud static. I noticed the unit got switched to 48kHz at some point, so I switched it back to 44.1kHz with no results. Inputs are working and the unit is recognizing that it should be putting out output, although at this point, the FireControl stopped working as well. I've got 4 gigs of RAM at the moment, so I ruled that out.
    I'm using Tiger, by the way. I know they're still having issues with Leopard.

8. ktone

ktone

Jun 23, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Before I waste any more of my money on Presonus I need a little backup - more likely from some of you old dogs who remember or still use Adats.

1. Has anyone else tried any kind of lightpipe gear with a PreSonus Firestudio 26 x 26? Anyone else tried an Adat with it?

2. Has anyone ever had a problem with connecting a blackface adat lightpipe (w/out 9-pin sync) to any other brand firewire interface?

PreSonus so far sux. After about two weeks of email back and forth with their tech support, the email dude finally forwarded my question to their tech support chief. I'm not convinced either of them know **** about this.

My firestudio works for analog but not ADAT lightpipe with my black face Adats. After waiting since last Nov they finally delivered drivers to correct a lightpipe issue and I gave my Adats another try with a lightpipe connection. PreSonus' excuse for it's failure to work with my Adats is that they claim the Blackface, being Alesis' first lightpipe device, has no sync imposed on the lightpipe and I must use the 9-pin sync.

Utter bullsh\t I think. I've never heard of this not working and was I certified by Alesis and I fixed these things for years. I've previously been able to move audio around between an Adat blackface and all kinds of gear without a problem. I used these Adats with a MOTU 828 firewire interface once and it worked fine as well. I ran all the tests and my Adats are perfect.

I tried the Firestudio with my S4+ synth, which was made years later, and that didn't work either (with and w/out the external work clock connected).