Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Presonus or dbx compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jock, Nov 16, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Should I get a Presonus Bluemax or a DBX MC6 compressor. They are both fully adjustable but the dbx has an auto mode and the overeasy setting. I wont be able to try before buying and they are both in the same price range used. The dbx is a little cheaper.

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Gonna have to go with the Presonus on this one. If for no other reason than its more robust. For that money the quality is going to be the same and I really don't think one will increase or decrease you sound any better or worse than the other. To me though the lay out of the Presonus piece makes alot more sense then the sliders on that dbx, I don't even think they make that thing any more. I've use PreSonus compression before in PA's and its definately serviceable, not HI-FI but if you need to squeeze your signal a touch its will do it just fine I am sure. The DBX looks like a toy.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    So, would it be worth the extra bucks to spring for a dbx 266XL Compressor? Does it sound better than the presonus? In that case I might save a little longer.

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Its so subjective. When you ask about something sounding better, its kinda hard to say, you know how that goes. The 266XL is stereo which is cool, but if you are only using one side it may not be much of a value. Its rack mountable, is pretty tough and it easy to use (as compressors should be). Is the extra money going to get you noticibly different results than the Presonus, I really don't think so. However look at the specs on each one, the input impedence is different on each one, that effects your sound. If you are planning on plugging your bass straight in I would say the Presonus is better suited, if it is going in an effects loop the DBX would be my choice. I really think both of those pieces will do there job just fine, its more of a matter of signal integrity I would say. At that price its not going to be the best comp no matter who makes it. If you really want to save and get something take a look at the DBX 160a.

P.S. I also like that the PreSonus has input level LED's

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm not personally familiar with either, but all I can say is that I don't care for the soft knee sound with bass. I'd always go hard knee.

Joe

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Why is that? How does soft knee sound? Ive never tried it.