1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Press releases-trying to get into local rags

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by theshadow2001, Mar 18, 2008.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Does anyone have any idea about press releases. What should be in one what sort of layout it should have etc etc. We'd like to try and get a small article about the band in the entertainment section of some local papers and a mention of an upcoming gig that we have organized.

Anyone any experience in such matters?

2. Find the person who does the column. Suck up.

Getting to know the people who do the local music columns, the local radio people, people that book... all a good thing.

3. From my understanding, unless you're in some huge city with a very well established mag, it shouldn't be too difficult to get an article in a local magazine or newspaper. I would probably call ahead and ask who to send your press release to. You may get someone who is looking for a new band or event to write up, and they may even want to interview you right then and there.

4. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    One other point is to join any local music societies if there are any. I've been a member of our local blues society from my jam days, and have sent them articles occasionally. When I joined my rock group, I never even thought about having them join the blues society.....we're not blues. But, I was adamently told our blues society supports ALL live music regardless of genre... and the blues society folks are more than happy to publish information/gigs/bios of local members via email and newsletters:). And you'd be *really* surprised what kind of people belong to music socities, from politicians to newspaper editors on and on :).