1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pressure cracks on a p-bass neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Maxxtraxxk5, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Maxxtraxxk5

Maxxtraxxk5

Jan 18, 2013
    Hey everyone I wasn't sure where to post this but.... I'm looking at this neck to buy. It's a 2008 model fender p-bass special neck, and it's got these cracks. (See pic below) are these a big deal or not? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365036082.243098. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365036095.883681.

2. Brockerboy

Brockerboy

Nov 15, 2012
    ct
    looks like they may just be cracks in the lacquer..
    if its a decent price id buy it
    but if its not a really good deal, id just spend a bit more and buy a new one

3. Hi.

Very common cracks in headstocks that have ill-fitting ferrules.

Those cracks can be only in the clearcoat, but more often than not it's the HS that has cracked.

Very easy to fix, but if the holes are not trimmed or correct size ferrules installed, it'll crack again from a new spot.

1/2 price of a new one is a good start for negotiations if the frets are OK and the neck is otherwise in a fair shape.
    Over here/IMHO anyway.

Regards
    Sam

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I was looking at that neck and decided against it. It looked to me like they forced the ferrules in the holes.

5. Maxxtraxxk5

Maxxtraxxk5

Jan 18, 2013
    Thanks! The price I think is reasonable.. ($125) and it's the only p-bass Special neck I've ever seen for sale.. My brother has an older cowpoke and the neck on that is perfect size for my hands...

6. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    First pic looks like the cracks are all the way into the wood. They almost look like shrinkage checking.

Second pic looks like the cracks are just in the clear.

Personally, I wouldn't buy the neck. I'm a firm believer in the Kubicki principle which states that the maple part of the neck is the single most important piece of wood on a bass. I need that maple to be as issue-free as possible.

7. Hi.

Very reasonable price IMO, I'd bet the cracks are the reason?

If that neck suits Your preference, I for one don't see any reason why not buy it.
    Sure the cracks are -or can become- somewhat of a problem, but if You adress the issue now, and repair it correctly, it won't affect anything.
    Except the re-sale value.
    The cracks are very common and people know what to look for when they buy ferrule necks.

Regards
    Sam