Pressure-wound, flat-wound, etc... (EDA905)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Raman, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    I was wondering : Someone here mentionned how pressure-wound strings sounded good on his EDA905.

That's the bass I just bought, and agree that the round-wound set on it is too bright. I know this bass can get a nice similar-to-upright growl from the piezos, but was figuring it'd need either flat or half-wound for that.

so is "pressure-wound" the same as "half" ?
    And if not, what's the difference ?
    Also, is half-wound really in between round and flat, sound wise ?
    (I've only ever used rounds so far.)

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK, here's my take, but keep in mind this mostly applies to four-string sets:

First, pressurewound and half-round are different things. Pressure wound strings have the outer wrap flattened into an oval shape, so they're somewhat smoother, both in sound and feel, than roundwounds. I currently have GHS Pressurewounds on my Precision, and I'm impressed. They sound a lot like roundwounds, but without the high end harshness and clickiness you can get with rounds.

Halfrounds start their lives as roundwounds, and the outer winding is ground down somewhat. I've tried D'Addario Half-Rounds, and GHS Brite Flats. The Brite Flats IME are much more "Flat" than "Brite". Pretty much a flatwound character. The D'Addarios are more of an "in-between" string, having more of the brightness of a roundwound. A number of people here have been disappointed with the Half-Round B string.

Hope this helps, I can't really make a recommendation for a five-string.
  3. Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Yes it does : I thought pressure was the same as half.

4. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    No, it's not. Flatwound's description is correct, and I agree with his evaluation of the different tones.

There are compressed rounds and ground rounds. GHS Pressurewounds are compressed rounds, and GHS Brite Flats and D'addario Half Rounds are ground rounds.

I use SIT Silencers on one of my basses, they are compressed rounds. Roundwound tone, less noise, smoother feel and easier on the frets. But I only play 4s so I can't comment on the 5-string set.
  5. Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Thanks. This is all very helpful.
    (At the prices a new set of strings go for in these parts, every prior-to-buying info is.)

Pressurewound seems interesting. I wasn't even aware those existed.
    And I'll keep in mind the reservations about D'Addario's Half-Round B string.

I was going for flats before I thought of asking in this thread, but another forumite mentionned that there aren't any tapered flats (which could fit nicely in the EDA's bridge).
    I'll have to check at the store. But what a shame if true. :(
  6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Labella flats have a tapered B string. The others are non-tapered, and I'm unaware of any other tapered flats.
  7. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    TI flats! :bassist: :D
  8. From your quote above I think it's safe to assume that you haven't tried Elixir strings on your EDA905 yet?

My EDA905F is the fretless model. The Elixir strings that come standard on it from the factory give it a very nice upright-like vibe, IMHO. Elixirs are roundwound strings that have a coating on them, so they're dark sounding to begin with. I've found that if I leave both tone controls flat, set the magnetic pup at full, and leave the piezo pups at between 1/3 to 1/2, and pluck the strings over the end of the neck, the bass gets a very nice, round, full upright-like tone that's reasonably convincing coming from an electric bass guitar. The only drawback, is that they're about $60 per set; not cheap by anyone's standards.

I haven't tried the TI jazz flats yet, but I'm VERY satisfied with the tone I'm getting right now. I'm even thinking about getting a fretted model. The bass is very versatile, and it is so comfortable to play I think I'm getting hooked on it.

How long ago did you get your bass?

If I may suggest something, take the time and sit down with your bass, and try all different settings on the bass' controls, and on your amp. I've found that moving either tone control just a little gives a difference that you can notice. The piezos are great, but turning them up too high, and/or with too much treble will sound harsh and unpleasant.

Here are some reviews from Harmony Central, one of them written only two days ago.
    Take them with a grain of salt. ;)

The EDA905 is very much a sleeper.

Good luck with yours.

9. Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Thanks for the tips everybody.

Michael, I got the EDA905 just last week. :cool:
    I'd tried it extensively before at the store, after noticing it and falling almost immediately in love with it. Then I also downloaded every possible tune from the band The New Deal, because I knew the bass player used it.

I just love that its got its own sound.
    And I like how it can get a very deep dub tone from the magnetic pup, a nice precision/rock harshness, and also that upright growl I'm talking about.

Only thing is, I can't seem to get the latter on mine so far. Which is why I'm staring to contemplate changing the strings.
    At the moment, it's still got the original Elixir set on, with about 10-15 hours playing on them...

I'll give them some time to mature for sure before I actually decide if I should change them.
    And thanks for your suggestions : I'll definitely play more with the EQs to try and get that particular sound, as soon as I can spend some real quality time with it. (So far, whenever I've had the chance to plug it in, between U. and work, I was too eager to play to really spend any time tweaking it.)
  10. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA
    Hey Raman,

Remember how I told you I wanted flats on my EDA905 but no companies made a flat set with a tapered B? I got a reply from La Bella a couple days ago. They said the B on their Deep Talkin' Bass flat set was tapered. The only tapered B flat set in existence as far as I know. Saving up the cash to get one right now. Alot more pricey than I like to pay for strings, but flats are supposed to last a long time. Keep La Bella in mind if you ever want to try flats out on your EDA.:bassist:
  11. I'm also seriously thinking of putting flats on my EDA905, in search of a more uprighty tone. I'd be real curious to hear what you have to say about those La Bellas when you get them on your bass, Danham.

And, just to say it again, the EDA905 is a fantastic bass. I find it downright addictive to play.
  12. Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Just thought I'd inform you all :
    I was very impressed by the tone Dan Kurtz, from the band The New Deal, was getting out of his EDA905. (Check out the pieces "Superback" and "Back to the Middle" for good examples, as I think I've mentionned somewhere already.)

Thinking it was his strings, I took a chance and emailed the band to ask him. He was super nice in answering me.
    Here's the answer :

"(...)I find that my sound comes less from the strings I use than the moogerfooger filter pedal. If you use it with a pair of cv pedals, you can dial in the grit like the sounds I get in the songs you mentioned. I use it almost always, and it can really enhance everything from the super lo end to the growl in the midrange.

However, as for strings I just use roundwound strings from Club Bass here in Toronto. GHS boomers also work.... I'm generally not very picky about strings, beyond how heavy the gauge is.

Hope this helps. Have fun playing bass!

13. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA

Will do Midnight. The La Bellas should arrive around friday. My EDA is MIA on some warranty issues and I'm still waiting on Hoshino to get it back to me. As soon as I get both I'll let you know what I think.:bassist:
  14. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I play GHS Pressurewounds exclusively and I've tried the ground wounds. "Flatwound" has it correct. Pressurewounds have the liviness of a round, but without the tinny twangy harshness. They sound fantastic with a pick. Ground wounds are much more flat-wound like.

Think of grounds as a lively flat.

Think of pressure wounds as a less twangy round.
  15. Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Another type of strings I was unaware of : Nylon wrapped strings. (As described in this thread.)

Just wondering if anybody's ever used them for finger-picking, and if they're made in 5-string sets...

As for an update : I still haven't bought new strings as I'm rather broke, for one thing, and too busy to be playing much. On the other hand, I'm starting to adopt the Elixir set that came with the bass. -As long as I keep the Piezzo pup volume very low and its eq around the middle, I find I'm getting a very satisfying sound with these strings on the EDA. Also had to learn to pick a bit softer to get the sound I was aiming for.
    Nevertheless, I'm still into experimenting. Prolly with pressurewound first.

But I'm curious about the nylon wrapped strings for the Rick...