1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pressure Wounds: almost.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lermgalieu, Jan 23, 2017.

1. I'll just get this out of the way first: I usually play a MIA P bass and love it. Until recently I played it with Chromes and loved the girth of the notes and lack of annoying roundwound clank. But I am playing in a punk pop (with a touch of ska) band and some of the bass parts, especially the picked ones, sound more "correct" with rounds, so I decided to try Pressure Wounds. I like them ok, especially the E and A strings, but I feel like the D and G are a bit thin sounding for my taste. Is this just a matter of less string mass than a flatwound? I am using the "medium" set (.44 - .106) and was using the "medium" Chromes (.50-.105). Should I just try some heavier strings?

2. I use the ML7200 set (44-58-80-102) on my P. I find them nicely balanced both in tone and tension. It's unfortunate they don't offer a heavier gauge for the G in the M7200 set (44-62-84-106); something like a .048 would be a nicer match for it.

That said, I'm not surprised the PW .044 and .062 sound thinner than the Chromes .050 and .070.

3. Yeah - I mean they are just lighter strings, haha. Thanks for the reply though. I actually have a brand new set of chromes and am debating putting them on, but it seems like giving up. Maybe there is a string similar to Pressure Wounds that comes in a heavier gauge. I'm also a double bass player so I tend to like bridge cables.

4. GHS Brite Flats are half-rounds (groundwound) that use the same Alloy 52 (nickel-iron) for the wrap wire also used for the PWs. Their medium set is slightly heavier than the PWs, 49-62-84-108.

GHS Brite Flats Half-Round Bass Strings - 4 String Set

Or, you can even put together a custom set out of singles, 52-65-84-108.

GHS Single Brite Flats Single Bass Strings - Long Scale Plus

Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with the Brite Flats.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Arthur U. Poon and lermgalieu like this.
  5. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    I agree with all the above. I would also suggest some regular Boomers. They will have a little more "Boom" and girth than the PWs, and have more mids than the Chromes. (But I've not noticed either of my PW sets sounding thin on the D or G, but have with some other sets with played with a pick, but that's kind of subjective.)

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  6. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I went through a similar thing and just went back to rounds.

7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Multiple basses. One each strung in: flatwounds; pressurewounds, and roundwounds. Add more basses if groundwounds or tapewounds are also desired. Still more basses are required if additional brands; wrap alloys, core shapes, and gauges are also desired. A carefully chosen variety of bass amps and speaker cabinets to compliment each bass & string combination will also be required. About $100,000.00 USD should suffice. Happy Shopping! :smug:

dagrev and trothwell like this.
  8. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    There's a heckuva lot more than that. Usually flatwound strings - like Chromes - are going to have one more wrap per string than anything else. While that's a thin flat wire, it's enough to add a lot more stiffness and a bit of tension to the strings as opposed to a string that isn't a flatwound.

Biggest thing you're looking for is a heavy core wire to get that stiffness that you're looking for; gauge is secondary. The aforementioned Brite Flats are incredibly stiff due to a heavy core wire (and a couple of other things), which I would say are closer to that feel you're looking for. Because they're ground, some people find them "grabby" at the beginning but then they smooth out a bit. Having used them on my fretless for a couple months now, I haven't found that "grabbines" to be very apparent at all.

Linnin and trothwell like this.
  9. Your point about mass - I did bring that up in my first post ("Is this just a matter of less string mass than a flatwound?"), although perhaps I wasn't entirely clear. Yeah, Chromes are grabby at first too. Maybe I will give Brite Flats a try...

10. Right. I used to have the P strung with flats and my Ray strung with rounds and my fretless with flats or tapewounds (oh, I have a double bass too....). But I realized I like my P more than my Ray so now I am stuck with two basses with flats for the moment. Don't really want to put flats on the Ray again.

EDIT: I meant "I am stuck with two basses with roundwounds for the moment." Still ramping up my daily coffee intake.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  11. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Same core wire as the Big Core Bass set, @Jon Moody?

12. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    In terms of the material used, yes.

In terms of diameter, I don't know. I'd have to look at specs to figure that out.

Linnin likes this.
  13. I just ordered some Brite Flats in the heaviest gauge. After spending like 20 years using only Rotos, then 5 years using mainly Chromes (and a month or so with Pressure Wounds), I feel I can expand my horizons and see what's out there!

Linnin and trothwell like this.
  14. You could also adjust the D/G pickup a tad closer to the strings. Should help.

15. Possibly. The thing is they are loud enough, but just sound and *feel* thin to me. So yeah, it might help, but I do think I need more string mass. Got used to the flats, I guess.

quickfix likes this.
  16. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Hi-Mass headed your way! Please do us the favor of a stringset review. TIA

lermgalieu likes this.
  17. Haven't used the Brite Flats enough to give them a real review, but on putting them on last night, I could already tell - the girth is PROPER on all strings. They feel really good, like Chromes with a little more roundness to 'em. Once I break them in a bit I will check back with more detailed thoughts.