1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pretty dumb ? But please help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tanslacks, Jul 29, 2007.

1. tanslacks

tanslacks Supporting Member

Sorry if this sounds dumb. I'm pretty new here and I have wondered about something.:confused:

Why is it when Bass players stack cabinets the single 15" is on the bottom? I have a Hartke xl410 and a GK 115. The GK is 1" narrower than the 410. However the GK is 3" deeper. How would someone wiser than me stack these? and is there a reason why.

Thanks in advance, Tan

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I know little about amps...but the 15 is usually lighter. I wouldn't want to lift it. haha

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Hearing what you're doing means hearing midrange, and tens usually have better midrange than tens, so they are put closer to ear level.

4. tanslacks

tanslacks Supporting Member

Thanks,

The midrange stuff is interesting. it makes sense.

5. ObsidianDagger

ObsidianDagger Guest

Jul 17, 2007
    IMHO put the 15 on the bottom bc it will reverb in the room more, giving a boom and using the space. the 410 will give mroe punch because its midrangey and goes foreward rather than out, and putting it on top lines it up to give the audience a slap in the face.

6. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    CT
    Why not try it both ways and decide for yourself. There are a number of people here on TB that actually prefer the 15 on the top.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Is the 15 wider if you put it on its side?

8. HeyMikey

HeyMikey

Dec 28, 2005
    Tens usually have better midrange than tens......:eek: :D

9. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    there are tens...and then there are tens. Its a fine distinction.

10. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Lower frequencies become more audible when more surfaces (like the floor) are around. This is the same basic concept behind putting speakers in box or sub box. It's also the same reason you see the subwoofer on a home theater system placed somewhere off to the side in a corner instead of sitting up on a stand like satellite speakers.

Plus it looks cooler with the 15" on bottom. :)

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Oops. Note time of post. Past my bedtime. :rolleyes:

12. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    CT