Pretty good deal on a pretty good Ibanez (RKB900)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkycarnivore, Dec 15, 2004.

1. I was looking for a budget bass that I could lend out to students, etc., and I stumbled across the Ibanez RKB900. Made in Japan, alder body, maple neck and board, Duncan Quarter Pounder PJ pickups, Bad*** II bridge. It originally listed at just over $1000, but MF has em on clearance for $399.

I got mine yesterday and I really like it. It seems a little more compact than a Fender, and the contouring is more modern. Also, the bass has a pretty round neck--not like those tiny necks on the Soundgears. The electronics sound pretty good too. It's a passive system with master volume/blend, and tone.

I didn't think I'd ever really dig anything Ibanez made, but I took a chance on this thing for $399 and am glad I did. I can see how it never caught on in the marketplace--for $1000 list, there's a ton of worthy competition. But at well under $500, I'd consider this a bargain.

Here's the product page (I bought a black one):
  2. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    That model looks nice, both the Badass bridge and the SD pups are good improvements, and if it has a "normal", not soundgear size neck should sound and play nice.

3. Yeah, it seems like there are always a few gems among the Ibanez lines. I know a lot of people really dig the ATKs, but they don't sell em in the States anymore. I guess this bass will go the same direction. Too bad.
  4. Funky, I noticed this deal also a few weeks ago. I was all set to order one, but I couldn't decide between the Ibanez and a Mike Dirnt Precision.

How would you describe the tone, more vintage, or more modern?

Also, does the bridge pup hum when it's soloed?

I don't need another bass, but this deal does seem too good to pass up.

5. Hey Mike,
    It can get pretty vintage with the tone control rolled off. However, the pickups are pretty hot, so it's pretty growly in the mids (as opposed to mellow). The J pickup is a single coil, so it hums all the time unless you're blended all the way on the P.
  6. Thanks, Funky. ;)

I must now decide.

Mike :)
  7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'd get the Ibanez while you can. The Dirnts should still be around for a while if you decide you don't like the RKB900.