Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pretty good weekend, overall.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Besides getting to spend a lot of time with my wife and daughter, a few serendipitous things happened this weekend. I went to visit a new music store at lunch on Friday, and was talking about ADAT stuff with them, and it turns out they had an ADAT Edit card in the store. I've been looking for one of these for about a year, and pretty much gave up hope after Alesis went Chapter 11. I got it for $150 (I know, GC blew 'em out for $100, but they only had a few, and I was too late), against a list of $400. Cool. So I spent a lot of time doing some non-linear editing in the digital domain on three demo cuts I have on ADAT.BTW, they also have an ADAT xt20 for $900, if you're interested.

WHOA! What a blast. Cut out the bad notes, paste in the good ones. Ooop! I can't believe I came in half a beat too early. Oh, no prob ... just slide that note right back where it belongs. Sounds good, now just bounce it down to a stereo wave file. This could be addicting.

OK, so I decided I'd drive up to El Toro GC (about 60 miles) this morning for their Labor Day blowout, since I've seen all the GC crud around here. So I'm snooping around, and what did I see? Well, a Yamaha Nathan East NE-1 equalizer. I've been thinking about one of these for about a year, too, and I was surprised to see one in the store. How much? $29! So I whipped out one of my gift surf-a-tickets from my birthday last July and snarfed that sucker right up.

So I tried it out, and it really gives some nice, tight tones. I'll use it. It's a little less versatile that the SABDDI, but it's different. By the way, they had a SABDDI for $149, and I thought about you all, but I don't need another one.

Went to Sea World last night with my wife and daughter to see the ice-skating show, which we did, but there was a pretty good country/cajun? band there called the Doo Wop something-or-others, out of Orange County/L.A. My daughter (who's 3) and I chatted with them on their break. Lotsa Ken's in the band. One Ken played a Pedulla Rapture bass through a GK head into an Eden D-210XLT and a D-115XLT. Very clean sound. He says he's unloading the GK to run a POD through a power amp. No sir, I don't like it, but hey, it's his gig. They were very good ... tight, with an interesting and eclectic repertoire.

So there you are. Not bad, eh?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like a good weekend indeed, Munji.:)

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Nathan East Pre for $29?!? Damn. Good score. Sounds like you had a fruitful weekend. Congrats.

Hopefully, it wasn't a fluke, and the Karma fairy isn't waiting behind a bush to kick you in the heinie.... :D

4. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Hey! I used to be stationed in Oceanside and did a lot of travelling to El Toro.

Sounds like a very interesting weekend. All it did in Houston was rain unrelentlessly for the entire weekend, so I stayed inside.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ASR ~

Are you in the Crotch? I served from '67 to '70 at MCRD. Spent a little time up at Pendleton for ITR. One of our geologists is a Light Colonel in the reserve. So if you are, Semper Fi, and aaarROOOaagh. (Not oooh-rah, as those ersatz nimrods in the movies do it.)

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Congratulations on the most excellent weekend! I'll be expecting a review of the NE-1 in the effects section soon...