Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pretty little ditty

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kaboom133, Mar 8, 2002.

1. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i listen to the rhcp song pretty little ditty, off of mothers milk, and i loved the song, so i decided to learn it. i did ok untill i came to the part of the song that goes :--17-----16----14-----14-------17-----17-------19----19-----
    :----14-----14-----14-----14------17-----17-------19----19---
    :0------0------0-------0-----15------15----15-17----17-----17
    :------------------------------------------------------------
    and the other parts of the song resemling this. i played it and it sounded fine, then i listened to the song again, and realized that he plays these part REALLY fast :eek: . i tried, but i just can't move my finger that fast, i play with two fingers on the right hand, and thst's what i'm having trouble with. anybody have any ideas on how i can play this the right speed?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Use the thumb (p), index (i) and middle (m) fingers to play the arpeggios in the following pattern.

(p) imp imp imp imp etc.

3. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    it should be pretty easy. judging from that tab each successive note goes down a string. just rake the strings with your fingers. if you dont understand just tell me and i'll get into more detail.

4. You're right, it is pretty fast.

When I play it I use my middle finger to pluck the G and D strings and my index finger to pluck the A string. This allows me to play it at the right speed and make it sound good, but then again, I've never had a lesson in my life so perhapps I'm not the one to ask.

5. I play it with three fingers, index, middle and ring on each of the A, D and G strings, in a sort of classical guitar type technique.

I actually have to play it faster than the recorded version as in my covers band we do it (as Crazytown's "Butterfly") in the middle of House of Pain's "Jump around".

6. Zany

Zany

Dec 2, 2000
    England, Staffs
    *shudders*
    I was hoping they wouldn't be mentioned in this thread! Crazy town don't deserve to steal RHCP's cool instrumental piece!

Kaboom, you have good taste. Try to play every note in Aeroplane to speed yourself up...argh!
    :D

7. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    well, i finally have time to check up on this, thanks for all the help, i'm trying all the different ways said here, it's hard, but this is one of my favorite songs, so i'm detirmined to learn it. and yeah, zany, i know how you feel, rhcp are in a completly different league than crazy toen, they've been around for over 10 years more than them, and they just deserve so much more respect in general that it makes me sick crazy town ripped off their song. and i've been working on aeroplane for a while now, it's another hard one.:)

8. Zany

Zany

Dec 2, 2000
    England, Staffs
  9. RHCP do get royalties off Crazytown's Butterfly, so it's not all bad;)

when Crazytown were on UK TV show TOTP their bass player was miming the bassline wrong- playing the C, D bit down an octave:rolleyes:

you'd have thought he could at least pretend to play Flea's bassline right......

10. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Perhaps it was just his interpretation of it? Just because Flea did one thing, doesn't really mean that everyone should. Maybe he liked it better down there?

11. maybe, but he was miming to the recorded track....