Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pretty Sick?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Hey guys, just wondering what you guys think of this chain.....Dunlop 105Q Wah-->Digitech Bass Synth-->EHX Big Muff NYC-->MXR M-80-->Boss Bass Flanger-->Digitech Multi-Chorus....Keep in mind that I'm 16 and my parents are far from being rich. So,what do you guys think? Thanks.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not bad, I'm a fan of a few of those pedals, but that'll give you a fairly good sound I think.

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Sounds to me like noisey fun. Enjoy!

4. Sounds like a great board - I have been experimenting with pedals for years and have settled on a chain similar to yours, so I think you are starting in a good place! My chain is

EHX Big Muff NYC-->Dunlop 105Q Wah-->MXR Phase 90 EVH-->Boss Bass Chorus CEB3-->Boss TU-2 Tuner--> Sansamp BDDI.

I'll add a Bass Synth or envelop filter after my wah soon... looking at the Digitech BSW, DODFX25 or a QTron. So wish I didnt sell my Akai Deep Impact all those years ago :bawl:

Another piece of advice - you may add and remove things from your board over the years, but you have a great line up of FX there that can cover a range of styles easily and that work well with each other. Dont sell a stompbox without knowing for sure what you are replacing it will do the job better for you - I have sold some beauties over the years (the Deep Impact being my main stuff up) that I wish I had kept for bands/gigs I have been involved in since. Keep rockin with what youve got!

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Damn you're lucky man!

Oh I can see it now...

*turns on flanger and plays forty six and 2 then puts on Sansamp and plays Tom Sawyer*

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Just to provide the Yang, I've found that over the years (all four of them I've had effects! :p ) that getting rid of pedals that are A) bad sounding, B) never used, or C) given to me as gifts and worth a lot of money, are really nice to get rid of. For example, when I sold my Boss Looper (to SMASH, I believe), it was like a weight lifted off my shoulders. It was impossible for me to use, yet I felt obligated to use it.

After realizing this, I got rid of two more pedals, a Boss Graphic Equalizer, and a Boss Limiter/Enhancer.

One pedal I was thankfully never able to sell was my DigiTech BP-200 Multi-FX unit. This covers all the bases, for it is rare that I actually get a gig where I need radical effects. I use compression and limitation for almost every gig, but beyond that all I usually need is the occasionally rat distortion (DOD 250) or fOnkiness (Q-Tron). But for the occasional twenty-minute Chameleon in pep band or some of the other random stuff I trip across, its nice to have the assurance.

7. Why do you have your tuner at the end of your signal chain?
    surely you need a clean sound to tune to ... therefore you have to turn off the muff and mxr before you can tune accuratley? If it was first you could stomp it on at any point an tune straight away??

Not meant as a criticism I am just curious of your reasons? :)

8. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    Wow, thats a cool setup, keep rockin :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

9. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    yep thats a decent board, u seem to have most areas covered.

10. Thanks stompfrog, always happy to answer questions!.

Firstly, I dont always have effects on, probably 60% of songs I play are clean, with the effects added in certain sections or songs to complement what we are doing. I run the tuner with the direct out, so it mutes when activated. I always tune clean, usually during breaks in the set or after songs where I have really dug in hard and the guitarist / keys player is starting the next song.

The other reason is, Im in need of a new board to mount my pedals on, so I have joined the two Boss pedals with a coupler instead of a patch lead, which gives me enough space for the Muff's power adaptor.

An updated pic to come!

11. I'm 14 and my pedal "board" is as follows (even though it's not a board) I have a Boss TU-2 >>>> Boss CEB-3 >>>>>(coming in the mail tommorow probably)Digitech BSW

What do you reccomend I get next? I need a sick distortion in a good price range.

12. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    try the ibanez phat-hed. its cheap, has the option of clean, overdrive, or distortion, made for bass... only drawback is that it is slightly hissy.

if u wanna step it up a notch, the voodoo labs sparkle drive seems to get pretty good reviews on here.

check the distortion mega-thread.

13. Try an MXR M-80 I hear its really sick, you get a really awesome distortion, some EQ and even makes your clean tone sound better! For $135 its a bit of spending but well worth it.

14. the mxr is a great little eq nad di box, really does let you clean up your sound a bit...but don't expect wonders from that distortion it's um...disappointing. i'll be sticking with my big muff :)