Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pretty simple question!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PICK, Mar 31, 2002.

1. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Can i run my '93 Ampeg SVT-2 Pro head into 2 4 ohm boxes?? Ive heard people say no and people say yes!! I have yet to ask my tech but i just want to know if anyone has done it!!! and of course the result!! Thanks

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    If your amp can handle 2ohm load, then probably yes.

2 x 4ohm = 2ohm load.

How many watts is the amp and the boxes?

3. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    amp is 300 watts the boxes are 800 watts each!!
    I know it says that it can be done but a few people have told me that it probably isnt safe and i could end up blowing something!!

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yeah, there are things that you have to be aware of.
    First off, you have to know if your amp can handle 2ohms. If it can´t, then you´ll blow it by plugging those boxes into it.

But I´m sure that there are ppl here which know so much more about this stuff than I do, so I hope they´ll maybe throw in some advice here.

5. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    DISCLAIMER: I DON'T own the SVT-II so I may be wrong. Use this advice at your own risk.

Sorry, but I would hate to have you blow your amp because my advice was wrong. Please double check for your own good.

I downloaded the Ampeg SVT-II manual from www.ampeg.com and it says that there is a speaker impedance selector switch that will let you select between 2 or 4 ohms. It appears that yes, you can run those cabs as long as the cabs RMS power ratings can handle the power. For a 2ohm load on the amp, it would be (2)4ohm cabs in parallel. For 4 ohms, it would be (2)8ohm cabs in parallel.

Hope this helps.

6. Pick,

Lovin' Bass is correct. Not only is it OK to run that amp with 2 4 Ohm cabinets that's actually what the amp was designed to do. The SVT II is based on the original SVT which drove 2 4 ohm 810 cabs (because one of the original 810s couldn't take the power! :D). They haven't changed that so it's cool. Also if your cabs can handle 800W a piece, it's almost impossible to blow them with that amp. Underpowering cabinets is kind of a myth. In the 2 cab configuration it will put 150 W clean power into each box. Even if you get it pretty distorted it won't put out anything close to 800 W per box. So you're safe.:D
    cheers!