1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pretty sure I got a fake fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A-Step-Towards, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I buy a lot of basses off ebay and this time I bought a bass that didnt have a headstock pic, I learned thats a No no.

It was described as a mexican fender. As you can see the logo is totally wrong for a mexican made fender standard jazz, its a 60s logo found on the classic series mexi jazz or the USA RI. Its obviously a standard neck as the truss rod adjusts at the nut not the heel like a 60s one. Also the made in mexico is on the back of the headstock , they didnt start this tell 2008 , this bass is a 1998.

The body looks like MIM fender routings and is from '98 as well , but I really believe this is actually a 90's squier MIM bass. Maybe not a big deal if I spent 150$ on it but I paid 300$ total with shipping for this thing.

001-70.

002-73.

003-66.

004-66.

here is an example of a mexican squier with the same serial number on the back of the headstock, its a strat but it shows that mexican squiers did this in the late 90s.

$T2eC16N,!zUE9s389zOcBP84CsVTP!~~60_57.

Id just like to get some confirmation that I am not crazy before I contact the seller about this.

2. BTW I took a close up of the fender bass logo as you can see the logo looks added on the custom contour has a faint line above it and it sitting way above the clear-i 100% know this was a squier.

3. I'm not an expert on Fenders at all, but in this photo you can see a different sheen around the logo at the F in Fender about 1/8" from the lettering at the top and bottom. Looks like a decal to me.

Edit to add: Saw your second post. Yeah, likely was. The seller clearly lied to you and something should be done about it. Ebay's pretty good with this kind of stuff. Did you pay through PayPal?

4. Yep I used paypal, I have no doubt I will get my money back but I hate to send a fake back to a lair.

5. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Looks kind of hinky to me. Get your $$ back

6. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    I think you're absolutely right. I have a MIM Squier P with the same prefix on the back of the headstock as you've shown.
    I will note, however, that it also happens to be a fantastic bass.

7. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Maybe he thought it was real. Maybe someone else ripped him off. Might not be this guy's fault.

8. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You could part it out and probably get your money back and then some. The EMG's and controls would get $150, the body another $150 and the bridge around $80. You could probably still get $100 for the neck alone.

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If it plays/sounds good(and you want to keep the bass) you might try to work some kind of partial refund. If you both can agree on a realistic value than it's an easier way to go.

10. Your correct

11. I just did that with another bass, came with bent tuners and a grubby neck-Havent been having luck on ebay lately:D

12. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    I stopped buying from ebay after getting a faulty bass and now only buy in person and on rare occasions have them shipped.
    Still, that bass is pretty nice, even if it isnt what you ordered.

13. Mark4

Mark4

Oct 21, 2007
    Judging by the extra pickguard holes in the body, and the fact that the routes and hardware and neck look MIM to me, it probably started as a black label MIM Fender Squier series. I'll bet whoever did that replaced the logo when he added a standard pickguard and control plate, for a more 'authentic' look. I did similar mods on a MIM Squier series once, but that was purely for aesthetics, not to sell it as a standard. I later ended up parting it out, and used some of the parts in a frankenbass.

14. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Just a quick note: My MIM jazz is an '08 with the "Made In Mexico" sticker on the front, not the back of the headstock.

15. id ask for a partial refund instead of returning the bass. especially if its a good player. it looks pretty nice, i wouldnt mind to have it at all.

16. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    That would more than likely be to the fact that it was an early 2008 .. the transition took place mid year I believe

17. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Ah yes, that makes sense. It's a real peach, I guess 2008 really WAS a good year for MIM Fenders :smug:

18. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Lucas, sell the BA and the pups, install a threaded saddle vintage bridge and a nice cheap set of Duncan Design VM Jazz pups (or similar) and you have yourself a very nice little $175-200 beater ... what does it weigh??

19. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Who would copy a MIM Fender?

I'm building an SX clone factory in New Jersey. Anyone know where I can obtain bogus "Crafted In China " watermarks? :)

20. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    Looks like a Squier - with a Fender decal !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.