1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pretty Woman BY VH A Bar Song Really

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by geddyfan, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Our guitar player wants to do pretty woman by VH the singer and I really don't want to do it but I'm not gonna shoot it down I've shot down way too many of his idea's. We are a classic to alternative band and imho I don't think that song will go over well. Opinions ?

2. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    IMO if you do it as VH did it and not as Roy Orbison did then it should be fine. You can rock it up a bit more that way!

3. It is a classic after all.

4. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I like that song and was thinking about bringing it up to my band.

I prefer Roy's version because I think more people have heard it and are more familiar with it.

But I guess it depends on the crowd your playing to.

5. C47

C47

Mar 16, 2010
    New Hampshire
    We've done it both ways..works real well either way
    Just keep the tempo up

6. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    +1. Keep the tempo up and it goes over great!

D

7. It'll go over great. I personally don't like the song so I'd also be tempted to "shoot it down", but I think the average bar crowd will love it, especially if you "rock it up" and precede it with a song that always fills the dance floor.

8. The classic rock and oldies band I'm in does it(Roy Orbison version). I think our singer pulls Roy off real well. We also do "Anything You Want".

41East - Pretty Woman - YouTube

-Todd

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, I could see the VH version going over well in a classic rock scene just because its more high energy.