1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pretty Woman BY VH A Bar Song Really

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by geddyfan, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Our guitar player wants to do pretty woman by VH the singer and I really don't want to do it but I'm not gonna shoot it down I've shot down way too many of his idea's. We are a classic to alternative band and imho I don't think that song will go over well. Opinions ?:meh:

2. Maybe you know it's a Ray Orbison song that VH did a cover of.

3. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Why you has 2 threads on the same subject?

Like I said in the other if you go with the VH version which is more driving and up tempo then it should be fine.

4. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    "Pretty Woman BY VH A Bar Song Really"

Huh?:confused:

5. yes i know its roy orbison but if ur gonna do some van halen do some ! Don't know why it posted 2 times sorry

6. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Yeah if you have a classic band audience I see no problem here at all. I think it would go over fine.

7. Well, everybody wants some, right?

I want some too

8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I did the Van Halen version for 4 years in bars.
    Our guitar player had Eddy's intro down pat.
    It always went over.

9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I would think it would go over well

10. Every chick in the room will think your sining about her. They always dig it.

11. I guess I jus think the song sucks hopefully I'll be wrong.That's always a problem with my band music tastes

12. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    We do the VH version and it always goes over well us we always dedicate it to "all the pretty ladies here tonight".

13. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Unless you're in a starter-band that takes weeks to learn a song, it's quicker in most cases to just learn the song and test it out in front of a crowd than to argue about whether it will work.

Spares a lot of grievance, too.

14. If you can't *do* the tune w/a raging you-know-what, either tell the keyboard to cover you while you grab a beer, gimme the gig, or strap one on & make the gig your b***h.

15. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    There have been numerous times when a beautiful lady will walk by the stage between songs where I will play the opening riff of Pretty Woman. The band usually follows along. If there's no reaction, we just stop at the intro and go into the next song. 90% of the time, we do the whole song because the crowd gets into it.

16. We do it - it always goes over great and gets the dance floor packed. Bonus is that it is recognized by baby boomers and gen x-y-whatevers alike.

17. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    goes over well but i actually prefer the original version better...

18. ^^^How it's done^^^

19. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    We are just going to learn this song. Our singer has a strong Elvis vibe (he's also an Elvis Trib Artist). So it will sound like Elvis singing Orbison... but we will also have elements of the VH version in it as well.

Should be a real schmozzle!

cruiserpic4-1-2-1.

20. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    In the 80's, we always did Intruder / Pretty Woman and we still will toss out Pretty Woman in a set occasionally. It always goes over just as wll as any other classic rock tune. Nothing wrong with having that in the set list