Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preventative Maintenance

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by prelims222, Oct 8, 2004.

1. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    Well, the temperatures are starting to go down around the East and Midwest, and that means a couple things, but what it means for most of us is that its time to start thinking about how to keep our instruments healthy in the 'dry season.'

I for one, have not completely figured out what i will do this year. last year I did nothing and it was okay until the summer, when the wood re-adjusted and next thing I know, 3 hairline cracks and a loose crossbar.

One idea proposed to me by a violinmaker was to bring a plastic tupperware container into my practice studio, fill it with water and some type of wicking element, and let it sit for 5 minutes before taking out my instrument. He thinks that might help with getting the room's humidity levels up. Like many, he considers dampits to be at best not very useful, and potentially dangerous for the instrument.

Kolstein has mentioned lightly fine-misting the F-holes once a day to help get moisture inside the instrument. I know Barrie is pretty meticulous about the humidity issue, but that sounds like a risky proposal to me.

What types of measures are people using besides the traditional humidifier to keep their instruments fit and trim?