1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preventing an EBay Scam?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IotaNet, Mar 25, 2006.

1. To the Group -

I am a web designer/Internet consultant and I have been asked by a famous (even legendary!) bassist to assist him in selling a bass via EBay -- specifically, he wants me to create a believeable listing that will not scream "POTENTIAL SCAM."

Since we have a lot of folks here on TB that frequent the bay, I'd like to solicit your feedback on the best way to craft the listing. For what it's worth, I am not making any money on this -- I was approached because I am Internet-savvy but he is not.

I will tell you that the bass is not "vintage" but it will be pretty expensive -- upper four-figures. I need to make sure that the listing will be credible and will assure EBayers that it is legit.

I welcome your feedback!

2. maybe a pic of the player with the bass?
    maybe a certificate of authenticity?
    i would see if you can get some pics of the player with the bass that you can't get anywhere, like the player with bass showing the serial number or something?
    Do you have to mention that the player owned the bass? (well, probably, because if he really is as good as you say, it should get him some extra $$ :))

3. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Keep in mind possitive feedback meens alot on Ebay. Somebody with zero feedback may have problems selling a high end item.

Regards

4. FWIW, he has his own Ebay account.

5. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Maybe you could post a link to a video clip of him with the bass, talking about it, playing a few licks, mention eBay, etc.

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Lots of pictures. Front, back, sides.

Acurately describe condition. Make note of any major dings.

Answer all e-mails quickly and accurately. Don't give dodgey answers to specific questions.

7. Hopefully he has 100% positive feedback and that it will show some previous ebay sales.

8. Harmony

Harmony

Mar 5, 2006
    So, close to $10,000? I really wonder if eBay is the way to go with an instrument like that. Perhaps it would work if the bass was something that LOTS of people are looking for. If, however, it's a custom made, unique, boutique instrument, you might not connect with a specific buyer who would be willing to pay that amount within a fixed auction period. People spending that kind of money get pretty specific about what they're looking for. I assume you'd be planning to have a high starting price, or reserve. So, you may just end up with a high eBay fee, and no buyer for the bass. I see a lot of expensive basses with high reserves on eBay that don't sell.

Perhaps, a better idea would be to put in on consignment in a shop that deals with high-end instruments in a major metropolitan area. That way, buyers with lots of cash would be able to examine it in person.

9. Uh...wouldn't "four figures" mean in the "thousands" as oppose to the "ten-thousands"???

I would say that "feedback" will be a factor. Is he/she selling this at this price because he/she has it or because of what the bass actually is??? If it's a great bass, then it will sell itself and put a reserve on it. If it's because "he" owned it, then you better back it up.

10. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Yes, but "upper four figures" would mean close to $9,999.

11. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    thats a good idea.

also you can get the bassist to put something up on his or her site to say that that auction on ebay is real

12. Point well taken...;)

13. so who is this legend?

14. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    picture of bassist playing bass 8x10, signed photo of bassist playing bass 8x10, a handwritten and signed letter from bassist stating the history of his use of said bass and any albums it was featured on. if you can include a dvd/video of him playing bass that would help too. all of that included with the sale.

15. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    You're a sales and marketing consultant and you can't come up with credible copy for an ad? Is your post a scam? :D Seriously, isn't your job all about selling and selling instruments? Am I missing something here?

16. With all due respect Sir, I have been selling and writing ad copy for over 20 years. I have also successfully sold a number of basses via EBay. That doesn't mean that I have all the answers.

I'm smart enough to seek feedback/input from people whose opinions I respect -- specifically the Talkbass community. One of the great things about this place is the diversity of thought/opinion/perspective represented here and this thread is a way of tapping into that. (Isn't that what TB is about?)

I'm sure I could craft an excellent ad on my own. But why not seek the collective input of a community of literally thousands of bass players who spend as much time on EBay as I do?

There are luthiers on Talkbass who seek input on bass buiding. Why can't a salesman seek input on ad content? Especially for an ad targeted at people in this community?

17. True...I think all the ideas given are very good. I would get a pic of the bass player with the item, a certificate of authenticity with a pic of the legend signing it, make sure you have good feedback (that along could be good prevention) and maybe a link to the legend's website with the legend telling the public that it is for sale.
    you should post a link when you finally get it finished, so we can see who you are talking about! :)

18. Toxic Toast x2

Toxic Toast x2

Mar 24, 2006
    If you can, use a reliable middleman. That's what I like to do.

19. wow!
    very cool!
    when i read that you said it was a legend, i had no idea!
    thats very cool :)