Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preventing chrome weathering / oxidizing / yuckiness

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Transverz, May 23, 2005.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've noticed that the basses I keep in my room or even my rehearsal studio eventually start developing that horrible weathered / oxidized look on the chrome parts. Is that even the right way to describe it? You know, that horrible old, exposed to the elements look on chrom or brass.

Is there any way to keep this from happening? This is NOT cool! I heard that keeping it in its case as much as possible would prevent this as most cases are treated for this kind of thing, but even the basses I've kept in cases or bags do not help.

HELP! :help:

Thanks,

-T

2. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    well, you can either take fine steel wool to it, or take a wire brush on a drill to it, but whatever you do, do NOT EVER touch it with WD-40. don't even go near it with that tool of satan. it actually makes things rust, as it is a lubricant, not a magical rust-taker-offer. and to keep it from happening, just keep a de-humidifer in the room on super-duper high mode.

3. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Okay, so a de-humidifier is what I need to keep this from happening? And I take it then, that my room is too humid?

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Just FYI, WD-40 wasn't intended as a lubricant. The "WD" stands for "water dispersant". It just happens to be that it is used for other purposes, such as a cleaner.

5. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Got it...no WD-40. Yeah, I noticed this too when I used WD-40 on the gears on my bike when I was 10 and got it on the rims. Then all I did was peel, peel, peel off chrome plating.

About the humidity, I've heard a small bucket of coals could also work. Is this true? Does it have to be "coals" as in what conductors shovel into the trains? Where in the heck am I gonna find coals?!?!

Or you can just suggest a good de-humidifier :)