Preventing warped necks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Vorago, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    well, right now, my bass is with a competent luthier to have it unwarped! I'm talking about a Warwick Corvette 5 here, that I picked up 9 months ago. Strange thing is, I carefully checked it the shop, I'm not a n00b with guitars and basses, and I know when something is seriously wrong with an instrument. When inspecting it, I didn't notice anything wrong. Last week, I brought it to a luthier, who said that the neck was "paraplu" (****ed up that is).
    This whole operation is gonna cost me some serious cash, but I don't have another option, it's my only bass.

Are there things that can prevent a neck from warping again? I noticed that in a store, basses are put straight up, or hung to the wall, does this have anything to do with it? Can the weight of the body prevent the neck from warping again?

btw, I checked for other topics on this subject and I didn't find any..
  2. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    if its a 98 neck i dont think they are made of ovankgol?? my 04 is and it seems to be one of the hardest woods ever!!

do you like keep it in a shed or subject it to any kinda weather conditions??
  3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    It's a pre-98 wenge neck, that's the problem. If it were post-98 I could buy a new neck, but I don't think Warwick makes wenge necks anymore. Maybe E-bay, but that would take to long.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    As mentioned, wood is wood. It warps sometimes. It could be from bad construction, odd string tension or simply the fact that it is wood.

FWIW, there's not a proven way to permanently "unwarp" wood. It is very possible that if the wood was settled that way in it's natural state, that the process of correcting may be temporary and it will eventually settle that way again. You see it a lot with double bass bows. It's just the way it is.

Once a piece of wood decides it wants to warped, it is possible it will always find a way to be that way.

If the current process includes removing the FB, you may suggest planing off a bit of the neck and using a little thicker piece of ebony or other hardwood for the fingerboard. That'll stiffen it up for sure. Maybe reinforcement rod in there also?
  5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That's just what I wanted to say, also.
    Have the two steel reinforcement rods removed (if they were in use then in 5s) and have them replaced with two bigger graphite reinforcement bars.
    Also, sometimes a warped neck cannot be unwarped - but maybe it can be reshaped.
  6. brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    I juz got myself a used Thumb 6 BO. It has a twisted neck and i initially thought could be adjusted by the truss rod.
    Unfortunately not... i brought it to a local repair shop who will re-heat the neck and bring it back to place. Hopefully it doesn't twist back.

I wonder if this method is common where you are at? as it does not involve removing the FB and re-shaping the neck... it is also cheaper.