1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Price advice needed on potential purchase...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aahzz, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Aahzz

Aahzz

Aug 28, 2008
    OK, I found a MIM Standard Precision with some upgrades - Duncan quarter pounder (worthwhile IMO), pearloid pickguard (looks good, would do it myself), new neck plate (could care less), chrome knobs (I do prefer them), Fender molded hardshell case (I approve), new strings (who knows how new?).

Looks to be early/mid 90's (it's midnight blue, they haven't done that for a while) and in great shape.

Asking price is $400. I'm thinking that might be a touch high...what do you think - $325? $350?

Thanks for your opinion....

2. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    For having the replacement PU and a hardcase, I'd say 400 aint bad. Make an offer, see if he'll go lower. If you have the money and want it, go for it.

3. Aahzz

Aahzz

Aug 28, 2008
    I keep going back and forth....I certainly don't want to screw the guy, but in the event I'm looking to resell later (I'm a revolving door when it comes to gear, I've accepted that) I want to be able to do so without taking a loss - at least a big loss.

4. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Banned Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner - FretSpot.com; Vice President - Springfield Music
    Is $50 really a big loss? I mean, if you paid $400 (which it sounds like it's worth to me), and later had to resell at $350, is it really that big of a price to pay?

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd offer him $350. What's the harm?

6. Aahzz

Aahzz

Aug 28, 2008
    I offered $325, we settled on $350. If he'd said in the ad he was including the original pickguard, knobs, neck plate, and strap buttons (it also had Scaller straplock buttons, which weren't listed), or had told me that in any of our correspondence, I'd've probably just paid the $400.