Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Price Aside -- just sound and playability Stingray 5 vs ATK 305

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noelpaz, Sep 25, 2004.

1. I'd sold my 2003 Music Man Stingray 5 but my fender jazz type bass got damaged bad and now I need a fretted for some work and gigs. Stingray's a plenty but my cash flow isn't and I have a chance to get an ATK-305. I really like the Stingray although in some gigs, some guys ask me to play my old Kramer precision or the jazz - because the . So please disregard the looks or status or price - How do these 2 compare. I've done the search but maybe people have more opinions. Please just the Stingray 5 (with the switch) vs ATK-305!

Thanks

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I had an ATK around 1996 or 1997, and they sound exremely close to a Stingray. I never directly A/B'ed an ATK and Stingray, but Ibanez did a great job getting the Stingray's sound. I recently saw an ATK for $399 at Bass NW, if want the Stingray sound without Stingray cash, I don't think you can go wrong with an ATK.

3. Thanks Dr. Cheese! I can't afford a new Musicman StingRay 5 right now but I am debating between a used SR5 and an ATK. I think I'll go with the ATK and save some cash

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I saw an American made ATK five string on the Elderly Music website for $650. That is still about $250 less than SR5's usually go for.

5. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    I never bought a stingray because in 97 i bought an ATK305...

6. You could also try to find one of the near impossible mass produced TBC basses.

Mine'll tear any new Stingray to shreds.

7. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia

Hey Noelpaz, I just PM'ed you. I have an Ibanez ATK 305 I've been looking to move.

8. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    If it's an American fiver, I'd be interested.