1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Price check : ‘61 Precision, not all original.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tsarter, Aug 10, 2018.

1. tsarter

tsarter Supporting Member

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Hello all,

Seriously considering selling my 1961 P- bass. Been so long since I’ve bought or sold so I’m really unsire what to ask so I’m hoping some of you that may know the current market more than I and may be able to help. Original neck, tuners, body, and serial plate but that’s about it. Nice nitro refin - when I got it it had been stripped. Decal is non original though correct period. Fingerboard been replaced with a beautiful piece of rosewood. Bridge non original and the pickup is from a ‘66. Superb player and the neck feels wonderful. I think that’s it.

So... anyone have an idea what I should ask for it?

Thanks,

Tim

2. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    Keep it!

3. tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I have for a long time. Rarely use it - mainly play short scale basses - main gigging bass is a ‘68 Guild M85. Have my eye on a fretless, which I don’t have right now too.

4. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Pictures would help.

magnaton likes this.
  5. tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Some quick shots. Obviously I’ll deconstruct bass to show dates, etc when I sell.

Attached Files:

pjbassist and ExaltBass like this.
  6. tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Any input?

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

8. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Tough one. Has little if any collectible value and I think the fingerboard replacement is a big negative. Common to replace hardware but not fingerboards.

I'd guess at $1K to $5K but I'm not much of a vintage follower.

Garret Graves and jimmyb like this.
  9. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    For a bass like this, it’s really worth the sum of the value of the parts. The replaced fingerboard is a big hit to the value. I’d estimate $2500-2750 if parted out and you sold everything individually. If sold as is, probably closer to $2K.

tjh and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  10. tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Thank you Brian. That’s very helpful.

-Tim

The Bass Clef likes this.
  11. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Wow! That’s a gorgeous bass, regardless of its potential sale value. I can tell you that I had a 1962 Jazz, with a refin from about 1970 and pickups from about 1966 that I paid 5200 for about eight years ago. I did not think about resale value at all; bought it to play and eventually gave it to my son. I felt I paid a reasonable price for it, but haven’t been following the market much on pre-CBS basses. That said, I would think yours should be worth 3K.

12. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    I'm with Brian. $2k. Maybe 500 more if it had the original pickguard.

The Bass Clef likes this.
  13. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I'm not a vintage buff ( anymore!!) but my feeling now is that a fretboard job isn't all that much different from a fret-job. All in all it may not be all-original, but in my view it's essentially a 1961 bass. (body & neck, and the original neckplate is a bonus)

So I wouldn't sell it short - I think market-wise it still has "birth-year-bass" value to a lot of people :)

14. tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Hmm... still, all helpful.

15. magnaton

magnaton

Dec 12, 2013
    Boston
    From a cool standpoint, this thing is off the charts. I'm sure it sounds really great too. From a value standpoint, these vintage fenders drop pretty quick when you start changing things out. There's enough different here that you might get less of a consensus too, but imo:

Retail for a top notch 1961 is gonna be around $9k.
    Half that for the refin, so $4,500
    Knock off another grand+ for fretboard so ~$3,000 (especially ouchies since it was previously a factory slab)
    Changed pickups and bridge also devalue a good bit too (even if they're vintage replacements) but you're probably getting to the point where you're hitting a floor on a fully functional 1961 P, so I'd probably ask $2500 and expect some good activity at that price.

Not the news you were hoping for I'm sure, and there are people who know more than me here, but just wanted to give you my take as a pre-cbs enthusiast and owner.

GLWTS. It's a groovy bass regardless of market value.

16. Before reading any posts except the original, I was thinking $2500-$3000 range. Others seem to concur. Great player grade bass.

17. tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA

Actually that sounds good to me. Someone will be happy to buy it I’m sure!

pjbassist and magnaton like this.
  18. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    No personal experience except... a friend bought a ‘65 P, refin body, no original pickup, no original case, new pots and wiring, original neck finish and tuners, for $2400.
    He was pleased with the purchase.

It plays very nicely.

Good luck!

19. If I'm not mistaken Fender was using Brazilian rosewood at the time. If it was replaced with another type e.g. Indian rosewood that would definitely affect the value.

20. tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Not sure what kind of rosewood it is. It’s a really lovely fingerboard though - great grain and it feels wonderful.