1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Price Check: Fullerton Reissue Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Alien, Sep 27, 2009.

1. I am picking up for a good price a very early Fullerton Reissue Jazz bass.

The Good: The finish is in generally good shape. The neck is great with little fret wear and no issues at all. It is black which I believe is a less common color. Comes with the original tweed case but no case candy.

The Bad: It was routed for active pickups. Not the greatest looking job but it is on the back. Because if this it also does not have the original pickups.

I can post photos later when I get it but I was just curious as to how much you guys think that would be worth.

Note: To be completely transparent, I am not a jazz guy. I am getting this because it is a good deal and I figured I could trade it here for a Precision bass. So this is a value thread for a bass that I will be posting in the classifieds here (not ebay)

What say you?

2. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    There was a mint-condition one here in the classifieds not long ago.. But, as per your idea, put up a FT only ad, that way you don't need to set a price and you'll see what kind of trade it's worth to other people.

Now to answer your original question, it depends a lot on the condition of the bass, and the cost of putting it back to original, plus it's been routed. BTW, since you are not a paid member, you can't post in the classifieds, and usually people dont really answer these kinds of threads unless you are!

3. I am a supporting member and have been for awhile (I have bought sold a traded quite a few items here). I have the big blue star button in the upper right to prove it :)

4. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Johnny, my two cents: Since it's missing the original pickups and it has been routed, $1400.00. The route is what really hurts the value, but original fullerton pickups are not easy to find either. Black is less common than burst, and if it was burst, I'd say $1200.00.

5. Also to add to this....I guess my question is how much a route and replaced pickups would effect the value. I checked and black was a custom color for 82 and I don't think many were made. Most stores sell custom color stacked knob 62 fullerton reissues from 82 in the $3000 plus range. So I assume this would cut that in at least half?

Here is a photo from the seller. I will need to post some updated photos with it cleaned up and with the action lowered a bit.

FullertonJazzFull.

6. That is about exactly what I was thinking. The route is not the best (not bad but not the best) so maybe even $100 less. Somewhere in the $1300 or so range.

7. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Please post many more photos!

8. The photos from the seller are not the best so it will be a few days until I get my own better photos.

It is a V00 serial number and dates early. That and the custom color make it a great find but also sad that it got routed.

9. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
  10. No I bought it from him and did not even realize he had listed it on ebay at the time. He noted it was sold but did not pull the auction yet.

That is indeed the bass.