Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Price Check... MIA Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spaz, Jun 18, 2003.

1. spaz

spaz

May 24, 2001
    Hampton, VA - USA
    A local store has a MIA Jazz w/ maple neck for $600 listed on their website. It does not have the hard shell case, but does come with a gigbag. I'm going to see if they still have it over lunch. Assuming its in good shape, is this a good price? It doesn't list the color or any other details on the website. Their used stuff is almost always in excellent condition. Also, what is a good (but reasonable) price on a new one?

2. How old is this bass? I'd say that if it's not more than 2 years old, go for it. Or if it's say, from before '79. If it looks nice, make sure to check the truss rod (intactness), and to try it through an amp. my first bass, which i bought from somebody who had no idea what was going on, had a broken truss rod when I bought it. If everything isn't working (one or two of the following: scratchy pots, funky pickups, mods, warping, wear, electronic problems) $600 may be a fair price. Otherwise, it seems like a really really awesome deal. I suspect that for such a low price, something is wrong with the bass, or it has been modded.

3. spaz

spaz

May 24, 2001
    Hampton, VA - USA
    Update: I gave them a call and they still have it. The guy said he thinks its a '99. They've been using it as a demo bass for a Roland rig, so its got some sort of Roland pickup attached to it, but he said that it comes right off. Does this still sound like a good deal? I probably am not going to be able to get over there today, but I will go check it out on Thursday. Are there any problems w/ the '99s? Anything in particular I should look for?

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hey neighbor! I would seriously consider that bass and tell them to leave that Roland pickup on it! It can be used to connect to midi gear/modules. If the bass is intact, clean, plays nice, and they'll include the Roland thingy, I would consider it a steal!

5. spaz

spaz

May 24, 2001
    Hampton, VA - USA
    DWBASS: Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure the roland pickup isn't included. I might try to get up there after work today! I looked in your profile - where does your band play locally? I don't get out to the clubs that often anymore.

6. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I just looked at a mia Jazz black w/ white gaurd
    1998 w/ohc at a local store for $695, it has a rosewood board.A few tiny scratches on it, but overall very clean. The black pickup covers were a shiny black with some wear, how would one tell if someone did not put say mim pickups in it ?
    It sounded great, but I would not want it if it was not all OEM. Is there a way to tell ?:)

7. I wish they were that cheap by me, yo.