1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Price check mid 80s MIJ P bass in "rough" shape

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by two fingers, Jan 28, 2017.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    "E"6XXXXX serial
    Lots of "mojo" and "character".

This one bass has sentimental value for me and it's hanging in a pawn shop. That being said I won't pay a ridiculous price for it.

What say you on a market value? Thanks! 20170128_163103. 20170128_163050. 20170128_163045. 20170128_163026. 20170128_163019. 20170128_162957. 2017012895121301.
    And lastly, me playing the bass in '87 in the high school jazz band.
    20170128_173127.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Tari, HolmeBass, staurosjohn and 2 others like this.
  2. Ken R

Ken R Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Greater Knoxville TN
    About 2 years ago I sold one in similar shape for $375

two fingers likes this.
  3. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    "E"6XXXXX serial
    Lots of "mojo" and "character".

This one bass has sentimental value for me and it's hanging in a pawn shop. That being said I won't pay a ridiculous price for it.

What say you on the market value?

The last picture is me playing it in the high school jazz band in '87. (It's a picture of a picture so pardon the quality.)
    20170128_173127.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  4. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    The last one I had, I sold for $700 a couple of years ago. But, it was in dead mint condition. Even with the condition of the one you are looking at, I would think you could still get $450 or $500...the E series are that good.

5. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Fixed pics. They didn't upload properly earlier.

6. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    I sold my E6XXXXX ('86) MIJ P bass for $400.

7. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    How did it compare in condition? Thanks.

8. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    It had some small dings and light scratches here and there but it was a nice looking bass overall.

9. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    It was in better condition than your red P bass (just saw the close up pics).

10. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Nice shorts.

Herrick and RyanJD like this.
  11. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! Gimme a break. It was Spring of '87. I was wearing an Izod shirt and Asics running shoes too. That's what we did back then.

(Of course, about 6 weeks after this pic I played my first bar gig with a bunch of guys more than twice my age. About six months after this pic I was still playing in that band....with a lot more hair.)

12. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hoping I can get a couple more opinions please. I'm going to make the guy a fair offer in the morning. The pics depict a lot of wear, and even what appears to be a horrible attempt at a thumb rest install just above the guard. He has it priced high for its condition to me. But I want to make sure before I make an insulting offer.

Thanks!

13. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    offer him $400 and go to $450

14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    More damage. Don't know if it changes anything but here it is.
    20170128_163019. 20170128_163012. 20170128_163002.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    $450 is what I'd be willing to pay, I'd offer $375 to start it off.

16. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    How much of that damage was caused back in 87? :)

two fingers likes this.
  17. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! Very little. I was scared to touch the thing.

Maybe a little arm rest watch band damage as I noticed I'm wearing a watch in the pic. I am left handed but play right handed so watches go on my right wrist.
    I vaguely remember making the little mark above the tone knob with the tip of the signal cable. But that was 30 years ago so the details are fuzzy. If my mind is finding the correct file, I was about to start a concert and nervous as crap. (Understand I had been playing bass a few WEEKS when I did my first concerts...and xome of the pieces were charts and I had to make up my own walking bass lines.) I went to plug the cable in and it wouldn't go in. So I pushed harder. (I was looking elsewhere.) Then I looked down and realized that I not only had missed the jack, but had made a dent in the bass. I played the whole show sweating like crazy because not only was I a noob on bass but had just damaged the bass and though the band director would be upset.

Other than that, the rest of the bass's story was written by someone else.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  18. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    By the way, every reference I have found simply puts the serial "between 1984 and 1987". Are there and references to narrowing down the manufacture date a little more?

19. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    Well , it was your first bass... I'd say as long as the price is less than a new mim , then why not?

I guarantee you'll never run across the chance to buy it again, just do it!

20. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Not a bad point. It wasn't technically mine. The school bought it new for me to play in the jazz band. But your point is still valid. It's the bass I learned on, the first one I played, and yes, the first one I ever did a gig with. I may have "borrowed" it for a few months on weekends to play in bars until I got my own first real bass. ;)

HolmeBass and Crusher47 like this.